He doesn't crow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sewingca, Jul 4, 2010.

1. sewingca

sewingca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a very pretty cochin rooster who is behaving like a rooster - not the romantic kind - just sneaks up and goes for it! Well, he is tame and sweet with me; he makes a little cooing, talking kind of noise, but he doesn't crow. That's okay, but I was curious - do all roosters crow or some not?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You'll want to breed that rooster and see if his sons have the "no crow" trait.

It would be wonderful for lots of folks that can't have roos due to city noise ordinances.

3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I wholeheartedly agree![​IMG]

4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    how old is he?

5. sewingca

sewingca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    [​IMG]

Here's Hunner. It's been raining non-stop so he's a wet little bird. We think he's about 6 months. He came to us as a rooster a few months back. Our 13 week EE is crowing and we have neighbor roosters crowing, so he has plenty of incentive. [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I hope you sell some eggs he fertilizes, here on BYC!! You'll have a LOT of interest in them!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Some roosters when in the presence of other more dominant roosters choose not to crow. If you knew you were going to get your butt whooped every time you opened your mouth, you'd learn to keep your trap shut too.

8. MaineChick

MaineChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Agreed. When I had two roosters, Sam was dominant and always had a lot to say. Big Bird was #2 bird and I never heard him crow once until a hawk got Sam. As the only roo he is clearly the #1 bird now and won't shut up, beginning at 4:30 am when he thinks I ought to be up to let them out. Note to self: place next coop further away from house.

9. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:Oh no, I know LOTS of people that never shut their mouths even AFTER a butt whooping.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh no, I know LOTS of people that never shut their mouths even AFTER a butt whooping.

This is true, but I know lots of people that aren't as smart as chickens either. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by