He has scaly mites right?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Celtic Hill, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I can't tell if my rooster has scaly mites or not. i was treating it for a month and then stopped because i thought they went away.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    I say YES!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would continue treatment.

4. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Okay, is this something that can transfer to other chickens? I'll be darn if it does. Every day i scrub his legs with soap and warm water and apply Vaseline?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Still has them (or it isn't healed)- keep a going with your vaseline or whatever you are using! I have read to use the vaseline twice a day...are you treating it often enough?

6. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    Treat with pour on Ivermectin and that will take care of it. Treating all of your birds will take care of internal and external parasites. Check BYC for dosages...I treat large birds with 5 drops on the back of their neck (must be on skin). Any eggs layed will need to be disposed of for 2 weeks - for the Roo no problem. Good Luck!

7. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    okay, i stopped becuase i thought they were gone, but then i noticed they came back, i dusted and cleaned everything.

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You also have to realize that the scales may not go back. I had to deal with someone's chickens that were so badly infected that one died and others lost toes. Most feel that the scales do not necessarily recover but that they may shed them and regrow new non-sticking out ones later. I don't have extended experience so do not yet know if the ones I treated will shed them or not. I would ask how did you know they came back?
    sharon

10. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    What makes me think he still has them is the dark color under the scales.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by