1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

He is a she is a he?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolinasculpture, Feb 11, 2015.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Songster 8 Years

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I am looking for information on my Jersey Giant. It is a hatchery bird bought at a local feed store as a male about 10 months ago. No crowing, dancing or anything. But I have read that they mature slowly. Anyway, had just decided he really is a she ( had pics up somewhere and the consensus there was "she" as well). Today saw "her" mounting another hen. Really doing the tail maneuvers and all like a roo. Since there is no "other " rooster at this point, do you think it is dominance or is there a possibility that my 10 month old "roo" hasn't started crowing yet or developed his fancy tail feathers?
    Any thoughts appreciated! Thank you!

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chirping

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I need pictures...

3. krista74

krista74 Songster

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I flicked over to your page and saw the three pictures in your album, and I agree - she really does look like a hen.

I presume you've not found any eggs from her either? Does she fluff around in the nest box at all?

I don't really know the breed well myself, but it could be that you have a late bloomer - either a hen that hasn't laid yet or a rooster that hasn't crowed!

I have heard of some hens assuming the dominant position in the flock and trying to mate other hens too.

I really have no answers, but I'm very interested!

A question: Does she look the same now as she did in the pictures? Has she grown in any saddle or sickle feathers that might indicate roo?

- Krista

4. Nupe

Nupe Songster

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Sounds like she possibly has a reproductive disorder or just a hormone imbalance which directly affects behavior. If her estrogen is too low, she will behave like a he. If this is the case, she can exhibit male behaviors including mounting and crowing.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range?
    Might she be laying out on her range somewhere?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: