He is a she is a he?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolinasculpture, Feb 11, 2015.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I am looking for information on my Jersey Giant. It is a hatchery bird bought at a local feed store as a male about 10 months ago. No crowing, dancing or anything. But I have read that they mature slowly. Anyway, had just decided he really is a she ( had pics up somewhere and the consensus there was "she" as well). Today saw "her" mounting another hen. Really doing the tail maneuvers and all like a roo. Since there is no "other " rooster at this point, do you think it is dominance or is there a possibility that my 10 month old "roo" hasn't started crowing yet or developed his fancy tail feathers?
    Any thoughts appreciated! Thank you!

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I need pictures...

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I flicked over to your page and saw the three pictures in your album, and I agree - she really does look like a hen.

I presume you've not found any eggs from her either? Does she fluff around in the nest box at all?

I don't really know the breed well myself, but it could be that you have a late bloomer - either a hen that hasn't laid yet or a rooster that hasn't crowed!

I have heard of some hens assuming the dominant position in the flock and trying to mate other hens too.

I really have no answers, but I'm very interested!

A question: Does she look the same now as she did in the pictures? Has she grown in any saddle or sickle feathers that might indicate roo?

- Krista

4. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Sounds like she possibly has a reproductive disorder or just a hormone imbalance which directly affects behavior. If her estrogen is too low, she will behave like a he. If this is the case, she can exhibit male behaviors including mounting and crowing.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range?
    Might she be laying out on her range somewhere?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by