He or She ??? I am an 18 week old Black Sumatra. Thanks !

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by time4chickens, Aug 26, 2010.

1. time4chickens

time4chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Northwest OH
    [​IMG]

Miss Daisy has recently started making "crowing sounds" and she no longer hangs out with her sister chickens. She just kinda stays nearby them, but is getting kind of unfriendly. The other 2 chickens sometime seem to be afraid of her now. Last evening I heard screaching and I went out to check.....and she was on her sister attacking her. Today them seem fine. I only have 3 chicks and they are 18 weeks old. I have had them since they were one day old. I am afraid that Miss Daisy now needs to be called Mr Davey [​IMG] . I hope that I am wrong..because I will need to find her a new home (if she is a him).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    She look lihe a he too me. I am no expert( I have one pair of black sumatra) but hse looks much more like my roo than my hen.

3. time4chickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Northwest OH
    [​IMG] thanks, I think your right. She is so different from the other two. I would think that maybe it was just the pecking order thing if not for the "crowing" every morning ! I am so new at this I am just not sure [​IMG] Thank you for the response,

4. damarisgw

damarisgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Quote:I think it's a boy maybe it was trying to mount the hen..Thats what roosters do , you might have mistaken it as attacking.

5. time4chickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Northwest OH
    she kind of did the same thing tonight. She (he) was fighting over the roosting spot. She (he) always seems to want the space where another one already is roosting. She is turning bossy and mean in the evening. During the day she just distances herself from the other two.

6. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    looks like a roo to me...and a very pretty one at that

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That is definitely a rooster.

8. time4chickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Northwest OH
    Thank you for the responses....Guess I'll be trying to find him a good home. He is sooo beautiful. Anyone out there in NW Ohio want a beauty for their backyard. He likes to be around people and will eat from your hand then sit by your feet and "talk to you" He does walk with a slight limp. I will only let him go to a good home. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by