He or She quacked for the first time!

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
Last night we had the ducks in the pond and watching them swim and dive since one of our bright orange goldfish has made it a game to swim all around them pestering them. (so funny to watch) Once it gets dark the little one (Cocoa) always gets out of the pond and stands on the edge and cherps for the black one (Ebony) to come on. They both get out and start walking to there coop. We haven't built a ramp or anything up it yet so we pick them up and put them in there. As they were walking and chattering Ebony made a quack noise not just a cherp. We all stopped and looked at her and the little one looked at her. Like everyone was thinking what did you just say.
gig.gif
I have read on something that if they do make an actualy quack then they are females and males don't do those noises. Is this correct??? At what age do most ducks start quacking? I was guessing she is around 5 or 6 weeks old now.

Last edited:
Woo Hoo!!! Great news.
wee.gif
I was hoping at least one of them was going to be a girl. That is better for us since we now have 7 baby chick that are supposed to be girls also. I really didn't want a drake bugging all the girl that are going to be around...So one down one more to go.

Thanks everyone!

AHappychick~ Will our little crew be ok with 1 female duck and 7 female chickens then one male duck. If the younger one is a male will he "pester" the female chickens or just go for the female duck?

Back
Top Bottom