he or she? (SLW, white EE, 5.5 weeks old, pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farmergal, Oct 24, 2008.

1. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    So, out of 28 chicks, I was supposed to get all pullets and 1 RIR roo. Well, I definitely have a WL roo too -- at 3 weeks, his comb started growing so fast and so big that he couldn't fit his head through the feeder holes to eat!!
    Now there are a couple others that I'm wondering about. This white EE has been getting into it with the RIR rooster quite a bit, which is why I started wondering if she was a he. S/he also has small bumps on her ankles (spurs starting to grow?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To compare, here's my other white EE, whose comb is much less red:
    [​IMG]

Now, what about this SLW? S/he's a bit jowl-y, and the only other SLW I have to compare to is a bit younger, so I'm not sure if it's just an age thing or it's a gender thing. The bird's name is "skunk," because it had the cutest little skunk stripes as a chick, maybe I jinxed it by giving it such a boy-ish name!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry the pictures are so crummy... they're totally friendly UNTIL I get out the camera and want to take photos of them!
    What are your guesses?

2. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    I'm no expert by any means but the one in the last picture looks like it has pretty red wattles so my guess on that one would be roo (just a guess). Maybe someone else can help you out. Cute chicks by the way!

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm a bit perplexed....the white EE looks "girly" to me, but the dark comb is throwing me off...

4. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Yeah, that red comb on the white EE makes me a bit nervous...
    Gosh, I hope I don't have 4 roos! Convenient that they're all different breeds, but I only have 2 coops, and I don't want to end up with a bunch of mutts running around the yard... which is why I only ordered one RIR cockerel to begin with, so I could just hatch the brown eggs.
    I guess I could do a sort of "brood coop" with one of the coops, and isolate a roo and a few hens for breeding purposes? Assuming all 4 roos get along decently? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by