He or She?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hillchicks, Feb 12, 2013.

1. hillchicks

hillchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    So I have spent the past few weeks building and preparing my family’s Chicken Coop and small flock. Carefully adding handpicked 5-6 month old hens. One particular “hen” we named CB (Crazy Bird)
    Yesterday I noticed some fighting among the flock, but just wrote it off to the pecking order being established amongst the ladies.
    This morning as I am headed to the gym around 6am I opened the coop door. As I was getting in my truck I heard KRoooo Ka DOOO KAaaA DOOOO.
    I said “what the bleep was that”? So I walked back over to the coop, and once again heard… KRoooo Ka DOOO KAaaA DOOOO….So now I am thinking CB is actually a C-He.
    [​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    hard to tell from that picture, but barely see a "curl " on his tail, maybe a roo.

3. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Looks like a roo but will need a closer pic to confirm, the fact that you heard crowing is also a pretty sure sign.

4. hillchicks

hillchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    I will post more pics.....if it is a roo, and we are not sure if we are going to keep it. Is there a reason we need to decide soon or can we let him stay for a while. Will his departure effect the hens?

5. Chickenjocky

Chickenjocky Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Des Moines Iowa
    Hard to tell from the pic but my guess is rooster. The only thing you need to worry about is if you live in an area that crowing isn't allowed.

6. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    Really looks like a roo, one day our roo (we didn't know) crowed, I was still in bed and thought something was wrong with my grandma! Lol! *Hwonkkkk!!!!!*[​IMG] Ha ha! He got better at it though. Till we ate him. :(

7. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    finding home fore the rooster will not effect the hens. its more like for breeding purpose.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you picked this bird at 5 or 6 months as a hen, you might also want to post pics of your other birds, cause that's a rooster. Just sayin'.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that looks like a cockerel

10. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    :yuckyuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by