1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

He pecked me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewHopePoultry, May 22, 2007.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I have 4 7 month old cornish cross roosters. They are brothers and 3 of them live together, the 4th lives with the bantams, he is very attacked to them, he doesnt hurt them, he just follows them around.
    Well any ways tonight when I was putting the 3 up, one of the pecked my arm. Since they all look alike I don't know who did it(well besides the one that lives with the banties) They have never done that before. I didnt bleed, it just left a small mark on my arm. What could of coused this? Or was it just becouse he is growing up? The only thing I did was bend down to pick up something before closing them up for the night. He just pecked my arm.
    If he does it again, he is gone. I will grab him right after he does it next time, so he can't hide behind his brothers, and lets just say he will meet his fate.
    I couldnt bring my self to butcher them when they were younger, more then anything they are my pets, but I won't have a mean rooster.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I think he was just a rooster being a rooster. Just keep an eye on those roosters because they do that sort of thing.

rufus

3. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Ok thanks. Ive never had an adult rooster before,so I"m not sure how they act really.

4. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    My chicks think your finger is something to peck at if you hold it the wrong way, I dont wish to offend anyone here but, chickens arn't very smart [​IMG]
    Ive had smart birds before (parrots) trust me stupid is better.

5. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I didn't even think he was looking at me, till I felt him peck me. He then walked into the barn like nothing happened, so then I couldn't figure out which one did it,lol. So he appears to be pretty smart.

6. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Peck... Hmm too big to eat, guess ill call it a night.

Smart?... I dunno hehe.

A parrot on the other hand would have figured out how to make it look like the cat did it hahaha

Last edited: May 22, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by