he/she?? :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jklyles1, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    We rescued this chicken and think it is a Langshan. But as it grows we think she may be
    a he??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

how old is it? I am thinking it's a pullet, but age might change that

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    It is either an older hen, or a younger rooster. I can't tell which though...Hard to tell if the tail and hackle feathers are there for it to be a rooster...Someone else will probably know. I'm just now being able to tell the difference. And without knowing the age that makes it harder still for me.

4. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    possibly 8-9 mths..not sure i believe what the guy told us tho.

5. salt and pepper

well, if that age is accurate, then it is a hen.

6. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Yay..i sure hope so!! We have had them 6 wks and their condition has improved so much but we havent seen any eggs yet. here is another one..pretty sure its a hen but not sure of breed. Love yalls quick replies!!
    [​IMG]

7. salt and pepper

pretty birds! the chicken in the back is a rooster, and the blue hen appears to have game in her, but I'm not sure

8. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    The one in the back is the same bird in first pictures. It hasnt ever crowed !! If it is a rooster should it be crowing by 8-9 mths age?

9. salt and pepper

the only reason I say that is in that picture it seems to have hackle feathers. point feathers on the back=rooster. round feathers on the back= hens. it might just be the different lighting

10. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it looks like a roo. Most asiatic breeds take longer to mature. Maybe he just never had a reason to crow or maybe I am wrong. But I would put him closer to 3-5 month age range. Can you keep a boy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by