He was better. Blew the leg out again.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, May 13, 2009.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    the horse.
    I got to the barn yesterday afternoon to see him hopping on three legs at the fence. Same leg. I am thinking same injury. Again.

Anyway.. this time his ankle was HUGE and hot. No filling in the cannon area. No heat in the "curb" He would not let me touch the leg at all. Wanted to lay down, but I could see that he knew if he laid down getting up wasnt going to happen. He ate all his dinner. Was eating his hay.

I finally got him to let me wrap his right leg. Then let me wrap the injured one again. Not happily. But he didnt threaten me or anything. Just kept hopping away from me.

I called into work this morning and left a message. I also emailed my boss to let her know what was going on. My dh was like "did you tell them dd was sick?" I said "No. I work at the Farmland, with crazy animal lovers. I dont need to lie about needing time for a vet call back"

So I went and checked him this morning. He is putting more weight on it. But I have given him the last of my bute(anyone got any I can buy from them?) I am STILL waiting on a call back from my vet. Granted it isnt an emergency.. but a call back would be nice. I really want him to come out and look at him. Just to confirm my suspicions and let me know that I am doing what I need to to get him healed.

I am thinking that I am going to have to keep his legs wrapped for now on. Lock his butt up at night and when it is raining and start him on horsey downers. [​IMG]
    Right now I have him locked in, which I am sure is making him un happy. His leg is poulticed ankle to hock. And wrapped in damp brown paper, plastic wrap, cotton wraps and track bandages. And he has HAY and water. I cleaned his stall this morning and will again this afternoon. He wont let me pick his hooves though. Puts too much weight on the bad leg. He also has on his fly gear. [​IMG] Which I am also sure he just LOVES.

He is going to be my last horse. I love horses. He is my heart and soul. But I cant stand this worry. I was up crying all last night. When he wouldnt put his hoof down all I could "see" was Barbaro. Only things that kept me from making an emergency call last night was the fact he is eating. And the pain wasnt a panic or in his eyes.

2. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    So sorry this is happening. It so frustrating waiting for the vet to call back and not being able to do much to help ease their pain. Have had many sleepless nights worrying about my animals, and my horses seem to be the ones I worry about the most. So many things can go wrong. Such beautiful animals, but not really built all that well. I hope the vet calls you soon and you can get him some pain relief. [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

On the bright side it could very well be just a hoof abscess -- that can give you lots of filling low down and three-legged lameness. If that's it (and statistically speaking it's by far the best bet) then it's just a matter of some soaking and poulticing and it's virtually 100% guaranteed to turn out totally fine.

Good luck,

Pat

4. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    well. the boy is still on stall rest and is doing really well.
    Is putting weight on it. Isnt going NUTS.
    I couldnt get out there today since I spent the morning and most of the afternoon in the local ER with my daughter. But tomorrow, since I am sick as well and work has a rule "Sick? Do NOT come in" I plan on beginning hand walking him.
    Got him another set of standing wraps, more poultice and some B-L pellets for the discomfort.
    His patience level never ends surprising me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by