1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Head and neck feathers white at roots

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anlawrence, Nov 11, 2013.

1. anlawrence

anlawrence Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    My otherwise healthy and happy hen seems to be showing head and neck feathers that are white at the root. She is no particular breed (she came from a local farm so is kind of a mix) but is her colouring is golden brown rather like a Buff Orpington.

Any ideas what this could be? She's pretty hard to catch but when I have observed her close up while feeding on treats I cannot see anything that would suggest lice etc. Her vent area and the rest of her seems fine. It's just the head area.

Grateful for any thoughts/advice.

Warm regards
    Angie
    Isle of Man
    Great Britain

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. anlawrence

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks for responding Judy. No I can't see anything like that (phew!) AND I am wearing my new glasses![​IMG] All her other feathers seem lovely, strong and shiny and she has a particularly fine set of tail feathers following a soft moult.
    Her appetite is fine and she is lively enough (although has not laid an egg for some weeks but I am not surprised due to the low light levels here and the afore-mentioned soft moult.

Thanks for taking the trouble to find that interesting article for me!

Angie

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm so glad!

Maybe it has to do with her genetics, then. That is one subject I know absolutely nothing about!

5. anlawrence

Apr 30, 2013
    UH-OH! Took the opportunity of checking Betty more closely today and she DOES have some spiky quills on her head which COULD be lice I guess. Her pal Margo also has some whitish feathers. The two new girls show no signs - as yet.

I guess a touch of lice spray would not hurt. I don't fancy the method of putting Betty in a garbage bag with powder in and dusting her down by shaking the bag - sounds a bit traumatic for both of us! Sort of Shake without the Bake [​IMG]

Thanks again for responding.

Warm regards
    Angie
    Isle of Man

6. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by