Head Bobbing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by samuelsonfarm, Aug 29, 2013.

1. samuelsonfarm

samuelsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    Well, I'm new to ducks, but it seems my 3mo old flock is starting to get a bit twiterpated if you know what I mean! I've seen lots of head bobbing around the pool and the males are climbing on top of the females too. I don't think any have successfully mated yet. My question is: what should I expect with regard to mating behavior? We ended up with 9 males and 4 females......I know....so sad. I think I will have to get rid of some of the males, but how? Is anyone going want to buy a drake? What do you all suggest? Also, when do you think we will start seeing eggs? We have a mixed flock of jumbo Perkins, black and fawn/white runners, Cayuga and buff. They were hatched on May26 from Metzer. Thanks for reading!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With 9 drakes there is a high potential that some of your ducks will be drowned when the drakes try to gang breed them. I would pick the 2 drakes that I most like and get rid of the rest if they were mine.

3. TAWAKONI

TAWAKONI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    We have 7 ducks, and only 2 are females. The drakes go after the white pekin exclusively for some reason and its practically nonstop. We found her nest with 5 eggs in it but with the drakes chasing her around the pond she never sits on them. We get one to two eggs a week. She started laying just under 6 months. We don't want to get rid of our drakes so were just going to get more hens.

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X2

I have read HORROR stories of how brutal the cute little drakes can be. You love them now but they will gang up on a duck and take turns holding her down and then take turns having their way with her( sounds awful I know but its because it can be awful) I have 4 drakes right now 2 of which are being rehomed tonight.

Craigslist would be a good place to start. It will make it easier if you list them for free though you don't have to. I would start rehoming soon since it sounds like mating has begun.

Good Luck!

5. TAWAKONI

TAWAKONI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    exactly. I thought for sure they would have drowned the pekin by now but shes bigger than the drakes and manages to get away.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When they eventually wear her down, do not be surprised if she is either drowned or suffers hip/pelvic injuries. It happens all too frequently.

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    There is also the Rehoming thread on this site. Try finding others in your area by visiting the "where am I? Where are you" thread in the social section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by