1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Head bump, now one eye is solid white! PICS added!**2nd Update**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vjbakke, Jun 7, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    My poor dom Rosie. 9 wks old. Had a bump on her head over a week ago, it has gone down some, there was no bleeding and it did not feel hot. She has been eating and drinking fine. After the bump apeard so did a white sopt on the bottom of one of her eyes. That has now taken over her entire eye and it is solid white ( not hazy). So she cannot see out of it. I am seeing the same thing is starting with the other eye. Is this what it looks like when a chicken goes blind? These are our first chickens ever. All the other birds are fine. What the heck could this be? I've looked about things chickens can get with eye problems and she doesn't apear to have any of those. Nothing else about her changed, just the bump and the eyes. I am pretty sure we will have to put her down, she is already having some trouble finding the food and water and getting out of the coop. Could use any help out there!

Update 6/16. We tried to separate her, however she gout out! We found her. She was able to get over the 4 ft fence my husband put up. I think it's better for her to be with the others, she was freaking out not with out them, not eating etc. So now she is back with the others and they are all getting the medicated water, not what I wanted to do but oh well. We started on Mon, it's Thurs now. Her bump is about the same. The eye that was white is more cloudy now. I am thinking that the white on her other eye has gone down some, I have to take a closer look tonight. We'll keep going with it, if there doesn't seem to be any more improvement by sunday we'll switch back to reg water and just see how she does. She gets left outside a lot these days due to her eyesight. She still is finding her food and water, and somehow makes it to roost at night.

7/11 She is doing a lot better, her eyes have cleared, although the one that was solid white looks glossy and not reactive to light. So I think she can only see out of one eye. She eats and drinks fine. I have to help her get up to the roost at night. She goes in there almost 2 hours before the others do so she can get herself situated. She does still have a small bump on her head and she is developing much slower. Still chirps and now clucking yet, starting to make some " big girl" sounds. She is the same size as the other dom her age. I think she will be a very late layer and we may have to make a special floor level nesting area for her. She's real sweet, when I go and sit in the run she comes over and walks on my feet and chirps. I'm thinking it may have been an injury and not sickness. All that matters is that shes happy and healthy. Thanks for all your help!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Anyone?

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi Vjbakke,

it is possible you could take a photo and put it up? It's a little hard to tell what's going on and the eye could be lots of things. It could be that she's got pus in the eye socket from an infection in the sinus, it could be the third eyelid going over to protect the eye, it could be damage to the eye itself. A close clear photo would really help a lot.

I'm not sure about the bump on the head. A lot also depends on where the bump was. It may not be related to the eye problem.

Hope we can get to the bottom of this for you, but more information would help (e.g. did something peck her originally? Has she been wheezing or sneezing?)
    cheers
    Erica

4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    My head roo had a tassle with a younger roo and a little while later I notice white in his eye and swelling. I cleaned everything out and started him on an antibiotic and also I applied triple antibiotic around the area of the eye, not in the eye of course. A picture would be really helpful.
    My boy is doing so much better now!

5. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Sorry I can't post a pic at this time. Our comp is down and I have to use the library. Her bump has gone down some. She has no sneezing or anything like that. It doesn't look like puss it looks like solid white that is taking over the eye. It started with just a small spot on the bottom and as time goes by her entire eye is white. I am sorry to say but I think we will be looking into the best way to put her down soon. We don't have the money to take her to the vet.

6. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I forgot to add that her comb has alway looked different from our other dom that is the same age as her. The other has a nice pinkish comb and the girl with the eye issue has never had any pink color in her comb. They are different in shape as well. I know pics would help that.

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:So it is more like a film over the eye? My boys eye was solid white where the pus was in the eye too until I cleaned it out and got all that gunk out of there. Do you know if the eye itself got injured?

I know the eye can look different for different reasons for blindness and how the eye looks but I have a blind silkie and her eyes look perfectly normal.

8. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Yes it looks like a white film over the eye .Cannot see anything under it. She keeps the eye closed most of the time now and does her best to see with the other eye. The bump is on the top right of her head starting at the top of her comb. I was thinking mybe she fell or it's a genetic problem?

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Don't be too hasty to kill her. She's just a babe. This could be a fixable problem.

I don't quite know what's going on here...can someone post pics for you using their own computer? Maybe an infection just needing antibiotic? Keep posting here and maybe you'll also run into another BYCer that lives near you..........

JJ

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    After I posted I saw you have no location listed - maybe if you post at least a general location, someone from BYC will turn up that's near you and can assist with assessing the situation...........

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by