Head Clearance Questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by we3ernes, Dec 3, 2013.

1. we3ernes

we3ernes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2013
    North Central Texas
    [​IMG]

We are in the design phase of our coop and I'm trying to nail down some dimensions. The coop will be on a concrete slab and the adjacent run will be on our (very sandy) dirt. With that in mind I'd like to utilize the area under the coop for additional run space. What head height would be optimal for dimension "A" in the diagram?

We will be using a 24" deep poop board under our roost. I would like the area under the poop board to be as flexible as possible so that we can use that space for different options - feeding/watering area, nest boxes, or brooder box. With that in mind what head height would be optimal for dimension "B" in the diagram?

The dimension "C" shows the height of the poop board and where the clean-out door will be (for the poop board, there will be another clean-out door for the entire coop). I'd like to keep that dimension under 42", if at all possible. I'm also estimating 11" for the various structural pieces. So A + B + 11" = < 42". Keep in mind that the dimensions A and B are the head height under the "rafters" and that there will be an additional 3 1/2" in between.

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    You will find that area under the coop is used primarily for dust bathing and shade.
    I have my coop resting on a cinder block (holes up) and a 4x4 which translates close to 12" that being said I would go with 18-24".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. we3ernes

Jan 2, 2013
    North Central Texas
    Hokum, the coop will be on a concrete slab, so there won't be any dust bathing going on, just shade - would that alter your recommendations at all?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most of mine are about a foot high. Some are higher. They'll squeeze into a tighter space.
    As Hocum states, I do it for a cool place in summer and a dry dusting space in winter.

It's a balancing act. If it's too low, you'll have trouble getting any eggs a hen may decide to put under there. If it's too high, you have to build stairs to get into the coop.
    Make sure you look under there from time to time for secret nests.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I only have one coop on concrete and the floor is concrete, it's the brooder house.

One coop has the covered part of the run concrete but the 1' under the coop is dirt.

6. we3ernes

Jan 2, 2013
    North Central Texas
    Thank you ChickenCanoe. That was one of my concerns - me being able to get under there. Probably the easiest solution is for me to put a stepstool out there so I can reach the poop board easier, but I wanted to at least TRY and design for contingencies!

What do you all think about dimension B?

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can use a rake or push broom to pull any eggs out.
    Is the top of B the poop board?
    Where are the nests going?
    IMHO the bigger head room concern is between the roost and the roof so they don't break their necks jumping onto the roost. That also depends on how high they have to jump/fly to get there. if they don't have to jump far the head clearance can be less.

8. we3ernes

Jan 2, 2013
    North Central Texas
    The top of B is where the PDZ level should be on the poop board. I think they will have plenty of head clearance: a minimum of 3'-0" above the roost and possibly closer to 3'-6". Will that be good?

9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I like the number 24" when dealing with levels inside coops it will accommodate waters and feeder to put them at back level of your birds with little waste and allow them easy access from level to level.
    My roost are in cups 3½ inches from poop board that is my best addition to my coop and I highly recommend it.
    Your plan seems to have a different use and perspective of that space to fit your particular needs.

10. we3ernes

Jan 2, 2013
    North Central Texas
    Sorry, I missed this before. I haven't decided on nest location yet. They will be either below the poop board or on the adjacent wall eastern wall. The poop board is located on the southern wall of the coop. I needed to do a little more research and site measurements before I make that decision. For reference, in the diagram we are looking east and have cut through the southern wall. The coop will be approximately 6' square.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by