head feathers gone

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by city chick 7461, Feb 27, 2012.

1. city chick 7461

city chick 7461 New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    my 9 month old asterlop has lost her feathers form her head not sure what has happened to them she is the only one in a flock of 9 mixed birds (banty's and asterlops) they have t watering dishes one inside that is heated and one outside that is filled 2x s a day, run is 15' x15' with 3 rosting bars coop is an 3 story childs jungle jim that was closded in and 6 nesting boxes added, has two 4 foot roosting bars and two platforms to roost in also have a red heat light and a 60 wat light on timer for longer daylight feeder always full of layenna and given extra feed (scratch meal worms and vegtable trimings from our food no onions or citirus) help.

2. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    Do you have a rooster? My rooster has managed to pull feathers from one of my hens heads while trying to mate with her.

3. city chick 7461

city chick 7461 New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    no roosters just hens and her sister chicken from the same brood is just fine at this time, as are the other hens not sure what has caused this but it looks terrible

4. chickmanna

chickmanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Battle Ground, WA
    Does it look like she was picked on? Maybe she's molting. My hens all started their molt losing feathers around the head and neck.

5. city chick 7461

city chick 7461 New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    don't look like picked on but maybe your right about molting, i'm new at this chicken thing and she looks real bad so far just the head feathers down to her ears are gone hope that they come back poor thing i'm almost tempted to knit her a hat because it's still cold here...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by