Head feathers ripped out by predator attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Six Goldies, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Six Goldies

Six Goldies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    This here is an approximately a 2 yr old White-crested Black Polish Hen. 5 days ago my husband brought home a lone survivor of a predator attack. She belonged to a customer and they got talking about chickens. The woman had 24 that most were killed by a dog that dug under their fence, they few that were left were killed by she thinks a weasel. The lone survivor was attacked by a hawk she thinks. She asked my husband if he would take her.

When he brought her home he put her right in the coop with the other girls that night. In the morning I let them out of the coop. She was the second to come out. She seemed quite happy to be with our girls. Our 3 GSL girls that rule the roost didnt know at first what to make of her brazen attempts to bond with them. By Saturday (day 2) the GSLs were chasing her off and we found her roosting alone in the coop around 5pm while the others were still out in the yard. Sunday same thing. we thought maybe that time of day was her habit. Today around 2PM she was in there alone. I took her out and made sure she got some scratch by keeping the others away. She is really jumpy now and squawks a lot when any of the other girls come near including our gentle BAs. and darts and runs away from them. The GSLs are mean and chase her any chance they get.

The last couple days it has been raining and her head feathers have been wet. I keep checking her head to make sure the others havent been pecking at her bald spot. So far it doesnt look like they have. We have not put anything on her head. She is small to me for a 2 yr old but then I dont know anything about her breed.
    The following pictures are to show how she looks and her bald spot. Hopefully some one can tell me if we need to do anything more or different with her. We dont have a good way to seperate her other than to put her in a large dog crate we got as a hospital for sick chickens. She likes being out in the yard scratching and eating.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I had exactly the same problem as you. I had 6 white crested black polish and when I introduced them to our hens the big girls picked on them, and pulled out all their crest. You're doing the right thing. Just separate her from the others for a while and keep checking on her. Polish are a very small breed so it wouldn't be surprising if she's smaller then the other chickens. Good Luck![​IMG]

3. Six Goldies

Six Goldies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    Thank You, she's such a pretty little girl I just hate seeing our mean GSL's going after her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by