1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Head Hen Too Much Testosterone?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sbhkma, Nov 4, 2014.

1. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

My head hen, Bella, is a great leader. She reminds the other 3 she IS the boss, but she's not overly aggressive or mean about it at all. She's the first to alert when she hears or sees anything "not normal". Over the last few months I've noticed she's grown spurs. Not very big, but definitely noticeable. She molted about 2 months ago and her feathers are all grown in but she still has not started laying again. Just wondering if she's taking her time getting back to laying or if this whole "growing spurs" thing is interfering with her egg laying. She (and my other hens) are about 18 months old. She's a cuckoo marans and she'd gone broody on me 3 times this past summer. She has always been a reliable layer, laying about 5 large dark brown eggs a week. They were all dewormed 4 weeks ago. Anyone have any experience with this?

Leah03 likes this.
  2. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    If you don't have a rooster one of the hens plays role of rooster in their place.

This can affect their laying

3. sbhkma

I was afraid of that. Oh well, eggs or not she's still a great addition to the flock. Will this harm her physically though? If she's got eggs that need to be laid and she's not laying will this cause egg binding or internal laying?

4. sbhkma

Bella started laying again! Took her 5 months but she's laid 2 out of the last 3 days now. That's awesome, as she's a great guardian for the others-best boss hen I could hope for-and I was pretty sure she'd stopped laying forever since she moulted and grew spurs. Of course, if she never laid another egg she'd still be secure in a good home as she's "family" n all [​IMG]

5. sbhkma

Oh.. update on Bella. She occasionally crows now too. She lays rarely, but she lays. Molting at the moment and totally miserable in our 100-106 degree heat. They have fans blowing across ice blocks and I hose down the grass and the coop roof. The run has a roof and sunblock on the south and west sides. My 2 Welsummer pullets seem fine. Poor 5 yr old birds not so fine.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great updates over 3 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by