Head Injury Bird

m7371

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
Any suggestions, please.

I have a five month old Spanish hen who was trying to steal cat food while my daughter was carrying buckets, anyway, long story short, my daughter shut her head in the gate. She brought into the house, and told me the chicken was acting funny, handed her to me and blood started dripping out of her mouth and eyes. I honestly did not think she would survive the trauma.

That was five days ago and she is still alive. She can see fully out of one eye and is starting to open the other eye. The swelling has gone down on the side of her head as well. The first couple of days she rested in a box but now resides in the dog crate where she is capable of standing and walking around. She is alert and has groomed herself a bit. I actually think she might survive but she won't drink or eat. I have gotten a little coconut milk, honey, slash water mixture down her by dribbling it on the side of her beak with an eye dropped. We have fed her a pinch or two of egg and a couple pieces of fruit.

I put her outside briefly yesterday with the other hens, that excited her, and she did peck the ground a bit but did not drink or consume any food. I have water and a variety of food next to her. Yesterday, I cut back the dropper method of drink, hoping she would drink herself, but no luck. This morning she looked worse, mostly, I think due to dehydration. Her poop is starting to become more white than colored.

Any thoughts of how to get her eating and drinking on her own?

Continue giving her water by eyedropper. Try to give her some scrambled eggs, yogurt, and applesauce, too. You need to get her to eat and drink, or she won't survive. An eyedropper should work, but you can also try using a spoon or a syringe.

Back
Top Bottom