Head injury - very confusing. Need input.

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
3 days ago, my 12 year old daughter accidentally dropped the wooden pop door on our Polish hen and hit her seemingly in the head (though she doesn't exactly know where it hit her). She went to pull the door up higher using a string and lost her grip on the string, the door then swung down and hit Crow.
Since then, she's been holding one eye closed and will not eat or drink. She seems "dopey" for lack of a better word. She responds to our voices, if we walk in a room, will look around. She responds to the sound of food being shaken in her dish, and kind of seems like she's looking around for the food but doesn't try to peck anything. Her beak is always sort of open a crack, and I can hear her breathe through her mouth once in a while. She stands in one spot, but will sometimes walk to the other end of the cage we have her in. She will lie down as if she's perching when she sleeps.
Today we syringe fed her some chicken crumble mushed up in lots of water. She will swallow that and I can hear it going down. She hadn't eaten in 2 days prior to this. We have put a "support hen" in with her for today - our silkie Goldie. When Goldie pecks at food, Crow moves her head around like she's looking for it. She is preening and scratching as usual.
We have seen no blood, she's not shaking, the rest of her body doesn't seem affected. She will stretch her wing and leg out as usual when she stands from laying down.
The only thing she isn't doing is eating or drinking, pecking the ground, or really moving too much.
I want to give her a chance as I know chickens can be so resilient. Our Faverolle was literally pecked down to her skull as a baby, and totally recovered....so I don't want to give up on Crow if there's a chance. Any insight or ideas?

Do you suppose she has head trauma? Head trauma in Chickens (poultrydvm.com)
I’m thinking she might, yes. I just don’t want to cull her if she might pull through. I also don’t want her to suffer for days though if there’s no chance of her getting better. Not sure how to know. I may need to tube feed her as of tomorrow if she doesn’t make any progress.

Poor baby! 😥. If it was my hen, I’d keep doing what you’ve been doing to see if she pulls through. It seems like she’s doing well, considering. Maybe she just has chicken vertigo from the injury and needs time to let her little brain heal 💖.

Back
Top Bottom