*Head meets Desk*

ladycrotalus

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Massena, NY
I posted an ad to sell the bunnies i found abandoned because that was my intention, to get them healthy and re home them. I refuse to just give them away because free pets rarely get good homes.

This is my first email from people interested: "what will u take for all the rabbits i want them for pets to let loose in my yard i live in the country"

My reply that i just emailed back to them "Not selling to you. First it is illegal to set domesticated animals loose. Second they will be killed by stray dogs, coyotes, hawks, cats, raccoons, cars, disease, and starvation. Contrary to what people think, they cannot live off of what grows in the yard. They need good quality pellets and lots of timothy hay to eat. In fact if fed too much wet foods they can develop diarrhea which can be deadly if not treated. They also will not survive winter without a proper hutch or building that shelters them from the elements."

Ill let yall know their reply if they reply. The nerve of some people.
he.gif

This is there reply "thats pretty sad u tell a 8 yearold girl u wouldnt sell her rabbits'''' she put let loose in the yard'''' as a term its a 7ftby7ft rabbit pen with built in rabbit boxes buy the way it;s not illegal to let them loose on ur property long as u do not introudce them to the wild thats fine never mind we dont need ur rabbits just please use better judgement when responeing back on a add thank u "

Do i feel bad? NOPE. My hopefully last reply to them "It is not sad, i care for the rabbits and refuse to let them go to bad homes. Unfixed rabbits fight, They cannot live in one huge pen in harmony. There will be blood shed. Also what is an 8 yr old doing up on the computer this late at night?? Also some will escape into the wild if they are let loose. They do not understand the concept of yards. One last thing, one of the rabbits is a doe and if i sold them all to yall, she would be over bred to death by her brothers because they would be crammed in a pen together. "

Last edited:
But at least if they are running free they aren't in a cage!

OK that was snarky LV coming out because every time I tell people they can't just turn rabbits loose in their yard to run wild I get some turkey butt that comes back with that reply. Minor details that bunnies are perfectly fine in cages as long as they are taken care of.

I'm glad you are making sure people aren't going to just toss them back out for the coyotes to eat.

I have a friend who used to have bunnies "running wild" in his back yard.

Of course, he lived in town and his yard couldn't have been more than 50 feet by 20 feet surrounded by a big brick wall. The bunnies had dug tunnels around the little citrus tree to live in (they also had dog house), and were fed hay and pellets.

Anyways... I don't think the people who emailed you are planning anything like that. I'm glad you are being picky!

I was given a rabbit at work a few years ago. A fawn mini lop buck. The girl said it was running around in her yard and she didn't want to keep him. The way she handled him made me think that it was actually hers and she made up that reason for me to take it. I didn't want any more rabbits at the time so i gave it to my friend's mom. Come to find out a couple weeks later she had just set it loose in her back yard to live like that and of course something ate it. Back then i didn't know much, just the basics on care, even then i knew it was wrong to just let them run loose.

I think you made a good call.

But I would reply, that you made your call based on the information they gave you in the initial email.

Back
Top Bottom