Head/neck injury... need high calorie hand feeding food ideas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennypen, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    One of my young pullets was injured from a roo of a different breed. She's in pretty bad shape and can't walk. Seems to be paralyzed on one side. She's getting predisone, metacam, vit b, selenium, vit e. all super small doses.. at this point it's throw everything at her and see if she gets better. I had a roo that was paralyzed once and he came out of it. While this doesn't look good, I want to see how she does for a few more days. She's not suffering. But I need to keep her hydrated and fed.

So.. I need a high calorie feed. She's been getting baby bird formula mixed with chick starter and that's helped her not lose weight... but she's not gaining either and should be.

2. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    Hi,

I'm nursing a little roo who was hurt by his bigger brother. I've been feeding him flavored yogurt with oats in it. I also grind up some of the usual food pellets until it's almost powdery and stir it into the yogurt. He was so weak I had to sneak food into his beak when he would 'stress breathe'. Now he is trying to stand up, talking, feeding himself....it's wonderful. It may not be the healthiest thing for him but between that and the grapes he loves, he's doing really well. I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for not giving up on the poor little thing!

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    What about adding some canned cat food into the mix? Mine LOVE it...

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    We used to grind up shelled sunflower seed in a coffee grinder and add it to baby veggies for young cockateils. Good nutrition there.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I always give my injured birds scrambled egg with a bit of yogurt mixed in. Blending chick starter to add to it also adds calories.

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Bugs, crickets, mealworms .

7. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I always use Kaytee hand feeding formula for caged birds (available at pet stores), mixed with polyvisol enriched water and crumbled egg yolk.

8. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    I am using the Kaytee babybird food as well.

I can only feed her 2-3x/day due to my work hours so when she eats it needs to be loaded. She is getting stronger and was up in weight today. YEA!

She seems off balancc though. She wants to lay on one side (the 'paralyzed' side) although I'm not sure its paralyzed. It's more like she thinks her body is straight when it's not so if I stand her up she starts flapping a wing and insists on being down on the one side. If that makes any sense. Her neck is really tight and crooked and she wants to orient her body to where her neck/ head is.

She was brighter tonight and followed teh dog with her eyes and head. Definite improvement but she has a looong road in front of her.

9. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Hey Hennypen - are you quite certain she is suffering from an injury? Marek's disease presents in this manner if it attacks the leg nerves - it can be just on one side or both and quite often occurs in birds just reaching maturity (4-6 months). I hope not, but I see so many posts of birds with "injuries" that turn out to be the disease.

10. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Yes, she was vacinnated at a day old. I vaccinate all of my chicks. And this is def some kind if head/nek injury.

Anyway, she appears to recovering nicely. She wants to be on her breastbone rather than on one side. She's also 'crawling' with both legs now. Won't stand up butshe stays on her breast and moves her legs under her body a few steps. Her head is still crooked but her balance is 75% better. I think it's a matter of gaining more strength and get her eating on her own so she can gain some weight and miscle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by