Head on backwards 😳

Brooklynbirches

Hatching
Apr 11, 2022
Last week a wild animal tried breaking into the run. not sure if it was a cat or racoon. I heard it but didn't see it.

Rushed outside and saw one of the hens was in shock. She was standing frozen for awhile. Checked for injuries, only sign was a broken toenail with a little blood. Rinsed well with saline and sprayed vetericyn.

She seemed fine and was running around the next day. Then two days later she was acting funny not wanting to leave the coop and pecking at the wall.

Next day I found her siting in the coop on the floor with her head completely turned around backwards.

Took her out and she could barely stand. She tried walking and fell over.

Brought her inside and let her rest. No weird sounds or breathing. Hand fed her and her appetite was fine.

Next day she looked better, she laid an undersized egg, and her head was a little less twisted. She was standing fine.

Day after she started eating on her own but same condition.

Today I put some meal worms down and noticed she would peck at them but kept missing...like off by an inch.

This afternoon I noticed that she was scratching at her neck. She drew blood.

I have no idea what's bothering her, if it's related to the attack at all.

Other hen is fine back in the coop (only ha e the two).

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220411_173329.jpg
    20220411_173329.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220411_173325.jpg
    20220411_173325.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220411_173319.jpg
    20220411_173319.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 1
Last week a wild animal tried breaking into the run. not sure if it was a cat or racoon. I heard it but didn't see it.

Rushed outside and saw one of the hens was in shock. She was standing frozen for awhile. Checked for injuries, only sign was a broken toenail with a little blood. Rinsed well with saline and sprayed vetericyn.

She seemed fine and was running around the next day. Then two days later she was acting funny not wanting to leave the coop and pecking at the wall.

Next day I found her siting in the coop on the floor with her head completely turned around backwards.

Took her out and she could barely stand. She tried walking and fell over.

Brought her inside and let her rest. No weird sounds or breathing. Hand fed her and her appetite was fine.

Next day she looked better, she laid an undersized egg, and her head was a little less twisted. She was standing fine.

Day after she started eating on her own but same condition.

Today I put some meal worms down and noticed she would peck at them but kept missing...like off by an inch.

This afternoon I noticed that she was scratching at her neck. She drew blood.

I have no idea what's bothering her, if it's related to the attack at all.

Other hen is fine back in the coop (only ha e the two).

Any help is appreciated!
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

I would check her again for any wounds or injury.

Likely she's suffered some type of neck or neurological trauma from the racoon attack. Could be disease like Marek's and she's become symptomatic due to stress. All of this is just guesses, there's no way to know for sure unless you lose her and have testing.

I would try vitamin therapy to see if it makes any difference. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give her a treat of egg daily to help with the uptake of E.
See that she's eating/drinking well.

I hope she recovers, please keep us posted and Welcome To BYC!

Back
Top Bottom