Head pecking!!! Answers please!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyforchicks, Dec 29, 2010.

1. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    My white leghorn has been attacked by one of my roos I think. She has a quarter size open wound on her head behind her comb. It is so bad I believe she will die. This is the very first time anything like this has happened and I dont know really what to do. I have trimmed their toenails and their beaks tonight so from what I have read on here that was what to do. I am finding homes for the extra roos in the coop. Anything else on how to care for this injured hen, other than make soup [​IMG] She is not a family pet so there will be no tears shed [​IMG]

2. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Decide whether you really want a chicken in intensive care for the next few weeks, and if you are okay with that, then isolate her until she heals. If you do not want to separate her, then put her out of her misery, because they will probably peck her to death. Once they see blood, it's all over.

3. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    If you want to heal her, wash the area well to get all dirt out. Be gentle, ti will hurt her. Then apply triple antibiotic ointment on her. Keep her separated from the others, and make sure she has a warm, draft free, stress free area to stay untill she is 100% recovered. Don't put her back in if she is 99%, because it will happen all over again.

4. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:This just happened with one of my Delawares. I don't think my roo intended to hurt her. He just wanted sex, and I think that she probably bucked rather than meekly submitted. He was holding her down at the back of the head, just behind the comb, and when she bucked, she got cut. I isolated her for the night, until the blood dried and I could see what was going on better. The next day I cleaned the wound, put some blue kote on it, and then put her and her Delaware sister together in an emergency housing unit (a 4 foot by 4 foot by 3 foot tall, well insulated box). It is better not to isolate a chicken all alone, if there is another option, so I picked the hen she is best friends with, and locked that hen up with the injured one -- once I had completely cleaned up the blood on the injured bird.

5. luvzmychickens

luvzmychickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Quote:its true and they sometimes become canibals and will drink the blood. this happened to me and its not fun to deal with

6. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by