Head Roo trouble

micboja7

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 27, 2009
I have 3 roosters, a large fierce Barred Rock and two Bantam Roosters, a Chochin and a buff Polish.
The Barred Rock has been the alpha and all has been well for the last 2 years.
Suddenly the two small roosters have ganged up and taken over, and the former alpha roo is bloody and badly messed up.
He is no longer allowed on the roost and sleeps on the ground under the nesting boxes.
They corner him and peck him until he bleeds.
Any advice on what to do? Shall I take him out of the coop? Take one of the small roosters out?
During the day, when thye free range he stays away from the flock, but I am worried about him when he is in the coop.

If there is skin visible to the eye, bloody or not, in the area where he keeps getting pecked, you could try some BluKote. I use it and it works. If I were in this situation, i would seperate him until he is strong enough to fend for himself. If you hae 3 roos, how many hens do you have? It could a lady problem.

I put Bluekote on him, it's mostly his comb bleeding. It's not the blood they are going for though, they just fight him every which way they can get him.
I've had the same 3 roosters and 20 hens for years.
I am considering taking him out for a while, but am worried that that will make it worse when he comes back.

Maybe you could keep him in a large cage or dog kennel in the coop with the other birds so that they know he is still there. Then maybe when you let him back with the flock they won't peck him as much.

Try what my dad did as a kid. When he had a rooster that constantly got beat up, he'd smear mud on the dominant rooster. The lesser roo would think it was a new roo invading his domain. The tables were turned!Lesser roo was now KING! Sure miss dad's storys!

they also make a bitter apple spray for antipick for Parrots you could try to use. It tastes nasty and helps stop the others from pecking on him.

Back
Top Bottom