Head Rooster Gone - Really Sad Hen!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heartlandrabbitry, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    We rehomed our Old English Game bantam rooster a few days ago because he attacked me in the face this past weekend when I was putting the hens to bed and that was it for him. He has attacked before but never has he gone that far before. We have a OEG hen who grew up with the rooster, when we first got chickens we had three hens and then our rooster. They were together for about two years and now since he is gone our OEG hen is extremely sad and depressed.

She won't eat and just stands around outside doing nothing. She won't follow any of the other chickens and won't even take bread which she loves!! I'm worried about her because she is not eating... would getting a few baby chicks for her and putting them in their own coop help any? Would putting her by herself help? We have a barn which I keep my rabbits in and could make her a bed in there if that would help.... I just feel really bad because she just looks so depressed. Our other hens could care less but she is really taking it hard! Any help would be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Gosh I am really sorry ur rooster attacked you. I know from experience that it was a hard decision to make. However I don't think that getting some baby chicks to replace him will work, but I have never been in this situation but unless ur hen is a broddy girl sitting on eggs then she may attacke the baby chicks. Is it possible to get a new rooster or do you have another one. I do believe that the bond that some chickens share is pretty strong and I really don't know if there is something to do for her except try to give her extra love and treats. Maybe if possible try to move her with one of the other chickens and maybe she will bond with her/him.

Is it possible that she may be sick and this just made her worse off?

I am sorry for your little hens sadness and wish I could help you.

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    chickens are social animals

i would leave her with the flock ... she should be fine in a day or 2

4. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    I was thinking she probably would attack the baby chicks! The chickens are out now and I keep moving her towards the group in hope that she will start following them around. We have three other roosters (Polish, Silkie and a Cochin) She was with the Silkie laying in the sun but he walked off and left her there. She doesn't go by the Polish and all the Cochin wants to do is mount her. I'm really hoping in time she will get better! If that rooster wasn't so mean to me then he would still be here! He was a gorgeous little guy and was kind of sad to see him go and I feel bad taking away her only really close friend but it had to be done, hopefully she will bond with another rooster. [​IMG] Thanks for everyone's advice! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by