1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

head shaking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Jan 26, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i dont think this is an emergency but its something that bugs me.
    ive seen my outside chickens do it now and then, maybe once a day or if they've gotten wet....they 'shake' their head (think wet dog shaking water off..that kind of movement but with the head/neck)

but my 'inside' chickens (chabos, frizzle chabos, bantam cochins) seem to be doing it constantly, every time i look at them they are doing it!

i first thought maybe a mite/lice issue, so all got treated with ivermec pour on.....didnt help. so i thought then maybe the bedding, so took out all wood chip/sawdust and gave them just straw. no help. if it was just the frizzle chabos id think maybe some of the frizzled feathers were annoying them...but its most of the others too?

any ideas whats causing it?

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    My chickens shake their heads all the time. I don't think you have a problem unless there is discharge from their nose or eyes. Does their coop have a bad ammonia smell? If so it should be cleaned out. It can damage their eyes and lungs and could be causing the shaking.

BUT it there is no ammonia smell I think you are alright.[​IMG]

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    nope no ammonia....they dont really have a chicken house...they have their own room with roosts in and lots of floor space in the basement so i have to keep it spotlessly clean or the smell would waft into the house [​IMG]

so its nothing to worry about? super!

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I don't think it is but put a thermometer down there. The one's that register humidity also just to make sure it isn't too dry or damp down there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by