Head Shaking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaidenShade, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MaidenShade

MaidenShade Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    I don't know if this is an emergency to anyone but me - but, HELP!!!! Please tell me if head shaking is normal. Here's the story:​

Our 2 approx. 7 week olds were put into a new 'tweener coop outside a week ago. (During cold weather at night we kept them covered, with a smaller light shining at their box, it is not warm like what the 2 week olds get). They had been on medicated food, but when we moved them we switched to the non-medicated one the other chickens were eating. These are the only "new" things in their lives. ​

Our chickens get DE in their coops, on the ground when I clean out their run areas, in nesting boxes etc. They also get it mixed in their food, along with garlic powder. We use Bragg's ACV in everyone's water - a capful per quart for the little ones, about 3+ in ​
    the gallon waterer for the bigger ones. We let the bigger ones free range and the little ones wanted to get out of their confined area really desperately, so we let them mix with the 4-month olds. The bigger ones do chase them a bit, but not constantly.

Could this extreme head shaking be from lice we can't see? We inspected them, but don't see anything. (We did look at the older ones too - no apparent bugs to be seen). The bigger ones shake theirs occasionally, but not like these little ones.

Could it be from social stress because of the bigger chickens?

Could it be: Worms (after only 1 week outside) even though we DE them?

Could it be: Ear infections or something from the cold? There is nothing in their noses, eyes are clear, we can hear no chest or throat sounds. Crops seem normal - kind of squishy and they go down and up according to their food intake.

Could it be: Gnats biting them? The gnats do seem to be worse today -

I made my Mr. go buy lice powder stuff (not 7) and antibiotics for URI's - but I HATE to medicate prophylactically or put poison on them for no reason. I am really anti- all of that unless it is really needed for a known cause.

I am so upset.

The one little one shakes her/his head so hard, she's knocking her head on the screen and almost falling off her perch.

I have looked and looked online (and in here!) and feel just as lost and more confused than when I started looking. They don't exhibit symptoms like has been described in other's posts about head shaking such as an infection, lice, worms.

Please help - and thank you!!!​

2. MaidenShade

Mar 16, 2013
    PS
    Forgot to mention that they are eating fine, and I don't know about their poo - haven't noticed weird ones. One is a Light Sussex, the other is a Black Copper Marans. approx 7 weeks old - They were flying out of the bathtub so we had to put them out, was it too soon???

3. MaidenShade

Mar 16, 2013
    Anyone?

4. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

All I can think of offhand is mites or gnats. If the headshaking is like a dog or cat shaking their head it may be one of those pesky critters. Check out the necks and see if you notice little red mites or even the black ones. If you see any then I would suggest louse powder in the area they roost or sleep for the nite. Mites and such like dark corners especially in the coop until they jump on the birds. I also add louse powder to their nesting boxesat the bottom. The chickens scratch enough with their feet to spread the powder around the nest... Try and see what the end result is. Give ity a week or so. Steve(BunkyB)

5. MaidenShade

Mar 16, 2013
    ty Steve - we put them on Duramycin, just in case it is from an upper resp. infection. We did look, but couldn't seen any sign of bugs at all. Now one of them is "gaping" and I don't know if it is from her mash, or worms or what. This seeing symptoms, and guessing what is wrong, and worrying - is a nightmare!

6. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi,
    I really am way to new for this. But I have a question, does the Duramycin kill the gape worms ?

7. MaidenShade

Mar 16, 2013
    Hi Mary, no, it doesn't. It is an antibiotic in case they have an URI -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by