Head shut in the door.

David61

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
Mississippi Gulf Coast
As I was going out of the coop when three girls bum rushed me. I pushed them back with the door a little and two backed off so I went for a quick close as the third stuck here head down to grab some grass. I got her good. As she got her head free when I opened the door blood was coming freely. She had her head to one side with mouth open, dazed and wobbling. I got a bad sick feeling that she was crushed and done for. The rain has not let up much this week and they have not been out to graze greens all week. They are use to a hour of yard time at lest every other day. I picked her up and could see a cut by the comb and she had blood running down into her mouth. I took her into the garage and put her down. She was steady on her feet now but bleeding and working an open mouth. I went in the house and got first aid supplies. Q-tips, old towel, paper towels, hydrogen peroxide, trippleA…. I rapped her up in the old towel and got to work cleaning away blood. I could see where the top of the comb had been pulled loose or the cut was started by the comb catching the bottom of the door as her head was pinned. Anyway she has a 1/4-1/2 " gash where the comb starts. After a wet paper towel use Hydro P and q tips too wipe down the cut and look for other damage. Then a q tip with triple A. It stopped the heavy bleeding but dripped a little for the next 45 minutes or so. I was still concerned about her jaw by her actions. I had the temporary pin put up in the garage with food, water and pine shavings in less than an hour. I got a piece of grass for her as that's what they like and never turn it down. She made a few attempts like she wanted it but did not open her mouth. I used a meat bin from and old refrigerator to make a nest box and she got in and got still. I'm not sure if she had laid yet or not. I let her be for another hour. When i came back she came off the nest box and came over to me. She ate some crumble and drank. She was looking much better. I went and cut some grapes in 1/8s. She ate them all and sat down. I sang her a little twilling song and she tucked her head and took a nap. I'll keep her in the big dog kennel at night inside the temp pin for five days while the cut heals.
I don't know if its going to be an issue putting her back in the flock after 5-7 days . Will she lose her rank in the picking order? I think she was top dog or very close to it.

If she recovers, and is not bleeding tomorrow, I would put her back with the flock.
You may have to have bandage, or wound dressing, covering for a little while. Chickens don't attack other chickens as a result of smell of blood. It is the visible signs or a wound that cause that.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

So sorry for your hen! I'm glad she seems to be recovering well. I would follow the advice of @cavemanrich, and cover it somehow just in case the others see it and pecking begins.
If she recovers, and is not bleeding tomorrow, I would put her back with the flock.
You may have to have bandage, or wound dressing, covering for a little while. Chickens don't attack other chickens as a result of smell of blood. It is the visible signs or a wound that cause that.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs
This is important, chickens are not like sharks!

Last edited:
I'm not going to today. Its 15-20 mph winds and cold. They will be close together staying out of the wind. Her comb can't be pulled at or it will bleed. That seems to be a favorite target for my flock. Pulling on your sisters comb. Tomorrows forecast is sunny light winds so they will be spread out over the coop and outside run with a good bit of free range time with me. I'm not going out much today with low 40s wind chill and high winds to keep an eye on her.

I'm not going to today. Its 15-20 mph winds and cold. They will be close together staying out of the wind. Her comb can't be pulled at or it will bleed. That seems to be a favorite target for my flock. Pulling on your sisters comb. Tomorrows forecast is sunny light winds so they will be spread out over the coop and outside run with a good bit of free range time with me. I'm not going out much today with low 40s wind chill and high winds to keep an eye on her.
Sorry this happened to your chicken, I know it feels sickening when something accidentally happens to your birds :hugs

The comb seems to bleed a whole lot more when it’s cut than the rest of the body. If she’s recovered, eating and drinking and stable, I would say you’re about in the clear. You should still keep an eye on her, however, just to be safe. You seem to be doing a great job caring for this hen, and I agree that you shouldn’t put her back out until it’s nice out and her comb is a little more healed. Could you post pictures of her comb injury?

It’s looking ok but it was ripped a good 1/4”

Attachments

• C1BB30FD-8E13-4E63-863B-7ACE730A3C1E.jpeg
    C1BB30FD-8E13-4E63-863B-7ACE730A3C1E.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 0E1EA923-DCAE-41C3-8E50-72CD21B396C8.jpeg
    0E1EA923-DCAE-41C3-8E50-72CD21B396C8.jpeg
    538.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 8C23229B-4D47-480E-BF4C-B7525DFD1D87.jpeg
    8C23229B-4D47-480E-BF4C-B7525DFD1D87.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 6
Nice sunny day. I turned her out in the yard to free range with the other girls while I cleaned the coop floor and poop board. No issues so I cleaned and put away the temp pin and dog kennel in the garage. I put them all back in the netted run after two hours and went to a 1pm Mardi Gras parade. No issues when I got home and I let them free range another hour before dark as I cut the dead off the banana trees. Looks like I'm passed my first bleeder. I'm glad it was cool weather and I didn't have flies to deal with.

Last edited:
Nice sunny day. I turned her out in the yard to free range with the other girls while I cleaned the coop floor and poop board. No issues so I cleaned and put away the temp pin and dog kennel in the garage. I put them all back in the netted run after two hours and went to a 1pm Mardi Gras parade. No issues when I got home and I let them free range another hour before dark as I cut the dead off the banana trees. Looks like I'm passed my first bleeder. I'm glad it was cool weather and I didn't have flies to deal with.
Good luck, you're doing great! Sounds like your hen is on the mend.

Back
Top Bottom