Head spinning on turning??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bald egg, Dec 11, 2010.

1. bald egg

bald egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I am toying with the idea of incubating eggs with a home made incubator. Plan on a turner that is on a dowel rod that can be turned from the ouside without opening the cooler. See Gopher Boys incubator. I have been reading alot and have a question on how to turn. I understand that the pointy end goes down and then you rock the eggs from side to side 3-6-8 times a day. But, how much do you rock the eggs? 45 degrees to the right then 45 degrees to the left? Or, 45 right, then to the center, then 45 to the left? Or, 45 right, 22 1/2 right, center, 22 1/2 left, 45 left... Oh my spinning head????? Please Help Me !!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:You got it. This makes a full 90 degree turn each time.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You got it. This makes a full 90 degree turn each time.

Yepp X2.. 90 Degrees each Turn... when you turn like this it will go from Right to Left back to Right.. Take out the center position.

4. bald egg

bald egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Thank you!! That was way too easy. I was wondering if a full 90 was too much of a jolt.

5. oldtimeway

oldtimeway Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    midwest
    Don't jolt them. It needs to turn the 90 degrees without jarring the eggs. The chicken just rolls them with her beak you know and I don't think she's using a protractor. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by