head turning white! photo.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by loopylorps, Dec 9, 2010.

1. loopylorps

loopylorps New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    I have 2 Black Australorps that haven't laid an egg in a month! Their bodies look healthy, eating & pooping fine. One of them has what looks like white stems coming out of her head. They both molted earlier this year and their feathers and bodies look great now but this one's head is wierd! On closer examination, it appears that the feathers have come off the main "branch". Don't know how else to describe it.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Pics?

Sounds like they may be blood feathers coming in. If so they will open up in short order. Just give them some time.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like pinfeathers or blood feathers that haven't shed their sheaths yet. Probably gives her a porcupine-like look.

4. loopylorps

loopylorps New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    Couldn't figure out how to post the picture. Got it uploaded but couldn't copy and paste it to the message box. Sounds like you know what it is! Never heard of it but I'll read up on it!
    Thanks so much! I'm quite relieved its not some disease!

5. loopylorps

loopylorps New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    [​IMG]
    A little late, but this is the picture of one of the chickens.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  7. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    the feathers haven't broken out of the keratin sheath that covers them as they grow out. Most feathers, they preen the keratin off, looks like dandruff.... She can't reach the ones around her own face. She will either rub them free, or they will naturally deteriorate off... you can crumble them between your fingers, if you want. It won't hurt anything...

8. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

well i learned something new today [​IMG]

9. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    Thanks for asking this question, I too have black chickens who look like they have porcupine head. They are just 14 weeks old and I was hoping it was just feathers coming in.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Better to leave them alone and let nature take it's natural path. If you decide to "crumble" them and they are still blood filled--well you get the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by