Head Vibrating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeathByCocoa, Sep 8, 2016.

1. DeathByCocoa

DeathByCocoa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Hi! So, we got some new ducklings to keep our female duck company after her mate's death. Today we let them see each other for a couple of minutes. She would vibrate her head then thrust her head to cross necks with the ducklings.
    What does this mean? She didn't seem mad at the ducklings. If anything she was really curious about them.

2. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    1 person likes this.
  3. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Just my personal experience - when some of my ducks get really excited, they tend to 'vibrate'. It usually seems to be at feeding time, or when they're meeting new animals.

1 person likes this.
  4. DeathByCocoa

Mar 27, 2015
    Thanks. I saw the thread earlier and it sort of helped? We've been slowly introducing the ducklings. I've just never seen the behaviour named before and whether or not it is good.

5. DeathByCocoa

Mar 27, 2015

Thanks, she may have been excited. I know she has been lonely and missing her mate since he passed away.

6. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    One of my females did it all the time and still does it now and again and i don't think its a bad thing...... I would say if thats the only thing she is doing to the ducklings they should make a great flock:).

7. Luckyduck3

Luckyduck3 New Egg

Oct 10, 2016
    I have three 6 week old ducklings (2 Pekins and 1 pekin-khaki campbell cross) and when I introduced our new chick to them a couple of them put their heads forward and did that head vibrating thing too and tried to peck the chick on the head. Then I took the chick away but whenever I bring it near one or two of them do it. One of my ducks did the head vibrating thing to me when I patted her the last couple times (they don't like to be picked up anymore and generally seem scared of being touched). The head vibrating comes across to me as them feeling threatened or not happy (I would like to think they are just excited...that would be preferable). Would really like to know more about what it means too.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is aggression.....I always see that when introducing Peepers to older Ducks.......I never allow them together till peeping stops.....Then it will be the normal neck tying and chest bumping.....

Cheers!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by