Head Wobble/Shake Silkie Chick Video - 6 Weeks Old

bvobs

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2021
Hi! We recently added two silkie babies to our family, they are currently inside growing and are about 6 weeks old. One of them has developed a head wobble I've never seen in a chicken before. See below for video, but she is eating/drinking/preening/sleeping/walking without any trouble. Seems to be able to hold her head up just fine. I'm not sure if it's stress or noise that makes the wobble/shake worse or not. She otherwise seems completely normal and is very sweet.

This was an excessive shaking moment, she doesn't do it this much all the time.

I'm treating her for wry neck with Vit E with selenium as well as Poly Vi Sol. I'm hoping she will be ok!! She seems so healthy other than this issue.

Any ideas of what's going on? I've found lots of old posts out here but nothing recent and no videos that looked like my chick.

Would appreciate the help!! Thank you!

Last edited:
How is her balance?

I agree, it appears to be a form of wry neck. It's not the sort of head shaking a chicken does when ears are hurting, but it would be a good idea to check in her ears to be sure there's no crusty material. Use a strong flashlight, and maybe a magnifying lens.

How is her balance?

I agree, it appears to be a form of wry neck. It's not the sort of head shaking a chicken does when ears are hurting, but it would be a good idea to check in her ears to be sure there's no crusty material. Use a strong flashlight, and maybe a magnifying lens.
Going to do this right now! I feel so bad holding her down trying to give her vitamins and staring at her all the time but this is a great suggestion. It does seem like an ear thing! Her balance seems to be fine. She really acts completely normal except the head wiggle...and I feel like she's doing it more and more. Just started vitamins yesterday so hoping they will kick in soon if it is wry neck. Thank you!!

Going to do this right now! I feel so bad holding her down trying to give her vitamins and staring at her all the time but this is a great suggestion. It does seem like an ear thing! Her balance seems to be fine. She really acts completely normal except the head wiggle...and I feel like she's doing it more and more. Just started vitamins yesterday so hoping they will kick in soon if it is wry neck. Thank you!!
checked the ears, they look fine to me.

I have a 8 week old buff that is doing the same thing....eats, pays attention, nothing wrong other than a song in her head!! i put Vit E in their water, the other 7 don't do that at all?? But she seems fine.

My baby silkie 10weeks old is doing the same head wobble. The Vet is afraid its Mericks but I'm hoping and praying not. There are a number of videos of young silkies doing this head wobble as if they have vertigo or something their ears. She's healthy otherwise. Does anyone have any answers as to what this is?. I put stress vitamins in their water today incase it's early wry neck. Feed back would be appreciated...how are your babies doing now?

My baby silkie 10weeks old is doing the same head wobble. The Vet is afraid its Mericks but I'm hoping and praying not. There are a number of videos of young silkies doing this head wobble as if they have vertigo or something their ears. She's healthy otherwise. Does anyone have any answers as to what this is?. I put stress vitamins in their water today incase it's early wry neck. Feed back would be appreciated...how are your babies doing now?

Hi! We recently added two silkie babies to our family, they are currently inside growing and are about 6 weeks old. One of them has developed a head wobble I've never seen in a chicken before. See below for video, but she is eating/drinking/preening/sleeping/walking without any trouble. Seems to be able to hold her head up just fine. I'm not sure if it's stress or noise that makes the wobble/shake worse or not. She otherwise seems completely normal and is very sweet.

This was an excessive shaking moment, she doesn't do it this much all the time.

I'm treating her for wry neck with Vit E with selenium as well as Poly Vi Sol. I'm hoping she will be ok!! She seems so healthy other than this issue.

Any ideas of what's going on? I've found lots of old posts out here but nothing recent and no videos that looked like my chick.

Would appreciate the help!! Thank you!
Vitamin E will help him alot

Back
Top Bottom