Head Wound- Advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BMoreCity, Jan 24, 2011.

1. BMoreCity

BMoreCity New Egg

Nov 8, 2009
    My special lady friend went to feed our chickens this morning and found parts of the coop covered in blood with a bit of it sprayed out a few feet into the yard. Upon further examination, she found an Orpington with a cut at the base of her comb. Everyone seemed to be behaving and eating normally but I moved her to a spare rabbit hutch anyway. I was going to wash the cut with some water and Hydrogen Peroxide but its about 15 degrees here and I don't want it freezing on her. Any advice?
    Thank you friends!

(Tried to upload pictures, but it wouldn't let me...something about problems with spam)

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Bring her in and clean her wound with some warm saline water(no peroxide, in my opinion).
    Put some antibiotic cream without pain reliever on her cut.
    She may need to stay in for a day or two to make sure the others don't peck at her injury(chickens can be brutal that way).
    If she is still bleeding or starts to bleed again, use some flour to stem the bleeding.

3. BMoreCity

BMoreCity New Egg

Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks eastx...we brought her inside last night, rinsed her head with warm water and put antiseptic cream on the wound. I couldnt get the dried blood off which is caked pretty thick around her head. Will that be a problem? I then used a hair dryer (which i think she really liked) to dry of her head and put her back out in the spare cage. Im thinking a day or two longer, depending on the dried blood?

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Chickens are drawn to anything red so if you can get that blood off before you put her back out, that would be great.
    So she got a blow out last night? [​IMG] That's so cute.
    No sign of infection or anything, right?

5. BMoreCity

BMoreCity New Egg

Nov 8, 2009
    No sign of infection, how would you recommend getting the blood off? I was trying to maneuver a way to get a really damp paper towel to soak into the dried blood but she was not having any of that, I'm afraid I'll hurt her if i try to pick it off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    I agree-I'd leave it for now-you don't want to restart the bleeding.
    Just keep her in until you are able to get it off of her and she is healed-otherwise, they will just pick at her wound and you'll have to start all over again.
    I tell you what, they got after her pretty good-you will have to watch VERY closely when you put her back with the flock. She will already be a "new" bird so that, in and of itself, is going to cause her to be messed with. If you see her getting picked on again, snag the "picker" and put them in isolation for a few days in order to knock them down in the pecking order.
    She sure is pretty after her spa treatment. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by