Head wound care and treatment (graphic pictures)

1. probably normal, all chicken react a little different to being attacked

2. it is a little concerning. Chickens are very good at hiding pain and pretending they are ok, and my little head injury chicken would eat and drink and talk

3. Hard to tell on the first few days, but if she doesn't perk up and start eating and drinking, then I would say not good. But if she perks up in a few days or so, I would say pretty good.

did they get her earlobes or other areas around her face?
No her earlobes, eyes, waddle, and face are good. They may have gotten her comb a little. I guess she did a good job protecting those parts.

2. it is a little concerning. Chickens are very good at hiding pain and pretending they are ok, and my little head injury chicken would eat and drink and talk

3. Hard to tell on the first few days, but if she doesn't perk up and start eating and drinking, then I would say not good. But if she perks up in a few days or so, I would say pretty good.

Did your Bantam cochin make it?

hi, i have a similar issue. My chicken was attacked by one of the other hens in an older flock. She’s only a month old. Her head injury isn’t as large but it did hi part of her ear. She’s perked up and is walking around and eating just fine. I kept her with the original flock she was in and they all seem okay. Do you have any advice? I’m really worried and i’m not sure what to do. I put them all back inside to prevent them from getting hurt by the older ones.
Six days ago, I caught the rooster harassing and pecking at the RIR who ended up injured. Her name is Pinky. He had her backed up into a corner against the house and was just going at her. I promptly went outside and broke it up and checked her. Thankfully she was not injured, but she did spend the rest of the day by herself, away from the flock. He was the only one attacking her.

Two days later, tragedy struck. I found her as I was putting them all to bed. She was the only one still outside of the coop, just hanging out in the run. As I approached her I saw white on the top of her head and I thought "That is weird, you don't have white on your head". Once I got up to her I saw it, the white was her skull and the damage continued down her neck. The amount of skull that is visible is about the size of a quarter and the damage to her neck is about 2-2.5 inches long. I gently picked her up and brought her inside.

I washed the wound with soapy water (just a little soap), I covered all that was injured on her neck and skull with Neosporin, and left the would to air. I have repeated this the last 2 nights. She is in a box that has nesting straw in my bathtub with food and water. At night I balance a stick across the box and place her on it so she can roost. She only drank a little the first 2 days by me putting drops of water on her beak to lap up. Last night she finally bent her head into the bowl of water I held up to her and drank on her own. The water has electrolytes and probiotics in it.

She has not eaten. I have tried eggs, grapes, lettuce, and fancy grain - all of which are treats to my flock. She moved around in the box a little bit this morning, but she mostly just stands with her eyes closed, even when I'm in there with her. I've also checked the rest of her body to try and figure out if she was attacked because she is sick and everything looks and smells perfectly normal.

We are now on day 4 since the injury, I want to know from chicken owner's experience:
  1. Am I treating the wound correctly
  2. Is her behavior normal for the situation
  3. Should I be concerned with her drinking and eating
  4. Odds (I know this is a guess) that she will survive
  5. Any other advice or input is greatly appreciated
Flock and living information: I have 20 chickens, 19 hens and 1 rooster. The flock was built in 3 batches, atm the first batch of 6 of are 9 months (Pinky came from this one), the second batch of 8 are 7 months (rooster came from this one), and the third batch of 8 are 5 months. Their coop is an 8x8 and tall enough to stand up in with 5 nesting boxes. They have a 10x12 run, but about 90% they are free ranging on my 1 acre lot (lots of room for them). I have a trashcan set up with 4 holes as their auto feeder and another trashcan set up with 8 nipples for their auto waterer. The original 6 do not mate with the rooster, but the rest of them do.

When I found out that I had a rooster, I told him he has 3 strikes; after that he goes to rooster rehab.
  1. He charge me from above in the coop
  2. He harassed, cornered, and pecked at Pinky
  3. He injured Pinky
hi, i have a similar issue. My chicken was attacked by one of the other hens in an older flock. She’s only a month old. Her head injury isn’t as large but it did hi part of her ear. She’s perked up and is walking around and eating just fine. I kept her with the original flock she was in and they all seem okay. Do you have any advice? I’m really worried and i’m not sure what to do. I put them all back inside to prevent them from getting hurt by the older ones

Was she able to make it?

Back
Top Bottom