1. Bellagarliepp

Bellagarliepp Chirping

Mar 3, 2019
    Belgrade, MT
    Hi guys,

I need some advice. We have 11 chickens 6 adults fully grown and 5 almost 5 months old. They have been getting along free ranging, they would all hang out together no problems. Night before last was the first night they all slept in the same coop. Went out to let them out the next morning everything was fine. Last night we put them in the same coop again. This morning when we let them out two of the chicks had been pecked one much worst than the other. (Picture below is of the worst one, sorry not the best photo) we cleaned out the wounds brought them inside, keeping them nice and warm. They have drank water and ate a little. We put some veterciyn for chickens on it. But is there anything else I can/should do?

Attached Files:

glassdragonfly likes this.
  2. feathermaid

feathermaid Egg Obsessed

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    Oh I'm so sorry that happened!
    This type of wound is apparently very common and will eventually heal, but they'll need to stay separated for quite some time, and away from flies. You can apply some plain neosporin ointment to keep it moist while it heals.

I'm sorry I don't know more, but you might find some helpful information in these other threads with very similar injuries:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-attacked-by-other-chickens-head-is-torn-open.1335709/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...of-skin-size-of-quarter-on-head-help.1327281/

3. feathermaid

feathermaid Egg Obsessed

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    When it's time to reintroduce them to the flock, do the See But Don’t Touch method inside the coop before letting loose with the flock again. You may even want try that with your other 5mo. olds now just to keep them safe in the coop while your older birds get used to them being there.

glassdragonfly and chrissynemetz like this.
  4. Oh no sorry what happened. Just keep it clean till it dries up and don’t put it with the rest of your birds till it’s dried up. Hopefully when you try reintroduce it back to the others they won’t reject it.

glassdragonfly likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Spray the Vetericyn (or Hibiclens/chlorhexidene with water) twice a day, and keep the wound covered with plain antibiotic ointment so that it doesn’t dry out. It will take a while to heal, and she should be kept separated in her own crate, but in view of the others to remain in the flock. This is a common wound when younger or new chickens are added to older ones. Hopefully they will heal and not suffer any long term effects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: