Head wounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmom1, Dec 13, 2010.

1. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I have had two chickens with head wounds in 4 days. The rooster and the hens are new. I am thinking that they got wounded by the young roo, but not sure. This last wound is pretty bad. It took crazy glue to stop the bleeding. I couldn't quite find the wound, but it just wouldn't stop bleeding. Needless to say, she is quiet and warm in the house in a box, but I don't know if that is the best place for her. I am thinking of returning her to the coop tonight segregated from the roo and the other girls. Any suggestions? The girls are pearl leghorns and the roo is a pretty big buff orph. Do you think theses wounds are from the roo. If so, I will find him a new home tomorrow. Do you think I should return her to the coop or keep her in the house. The coop is heated at night at about 40 degrees, so she shouldn't be too cold, but I worry.
    thanks,
    J

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When you reintroduce her to the flock stay and watch. Most likely the culprit will attack immediately. If you have introduced a new rooster to a flock with an existing rooster, it is almost a given that the old rooster is attacking the new comer. In his eyes he is simply protecting his flock, and he will continue to do so.

3. chickenmom1

Jan 29, 2010
    He's not a new roo and the girls are all from June. He didn't go after her, I think he might just be rough. He's so much bigger than them. What do you think.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she has any blood on her or wound that they can see she'll be in big trouble

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think I misunderstood your first post. Do you have one or two roosters? If you have introduced leghorns with their full combs to a buff orpington rooster who is accustomed to hens with smaller combs, once again he may think that they are cockerels. There is also the possibility that the smaller leghorn hens are afraid of the larger rooster. If they run from him, he may be grabbing at their combs in an attempt to mate. Did you quarantine the new additions?

6. chickenmom1

Jan 29, 2010
    The hens are the roo have all grown up together, but he is coming into his own. He just started crowing. They are all from about June. I'm not even sure if the rooster did this, I just find it strange that two chicken have come up with similar wounds in 4 days. Do you think it's the roo. I looked around to see if they are getting caught on anything and it seems not. I'm keeping her in the house tonight because of her hard breathing and hoping she will be okay in the morn, but I'm not optomistic.
    Thanks,
    J

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by