Headbobbing/lethargic Polish Frizzle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katmac555, Feb 24, 2014.

1. katmac555

katmac555 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Hello all - I am new to this forum, as I am new to chickens! I have had two chickens for a fortnight now; a light Sussex and an Isa Brown, who have settled in happily and are laying prolifically. Yesterday, my husband brought home two new additions; a big Australorp and a lovely Polish Frizzle; whom I have been coveting for years. The australorp immediately became boss after a brief tussle with Isa Brown; but Polish just settled in by my side and had no interest meeting the other girls. I put her on a perch in her coop as she didn't seem strong enough to do much, and she just stayed there. I put her back on the ground a few hours later to eat, but she didn't - her head just kind of flops around, and I thought it was because she may no see so well with her fluffy feathers, but it's like her head is too big for her. This morning, I went to check them and she was in the same spot, head down on the ground and hasn't moved, with blood on her face. I couldn't leave her to get pecked as she's so defenseless; so I popped her in a cat carrier in my bathroom with straw, and a variety of food and water. 9 hours later, she's nibbled a piece of bread and eaten one leaf of spinach, but has not been to the toilet or seem to have drunk anything. I have just now added some scrambled egg, water melon, lettuce, carrot, bread, some oars and sunflowers as well as her standard pellets. She doesn't seem interested in food, and doesn't move, except to bob her head a lot. I wanted to move her back with the others when I could supervise her, but she's obviously not well. Any suggestions? The chicken man I bought her from said she's probably in shock and keep her quiet for a while, and reintroduce when stronger and at night time so there's less chance of a tussle.
    Can any one suggest why she may be ill/what she may have/if it's likely just stress? Should I let her roam free in the bathroom with wooden branches as perches instead of confining her, where I can't give her a perch in a carry cage? I feel so cruel having her confined, but am unsure what to do. Appreciate ANY help!

2. katmac555

Feb 24, 2014
    I have googled crop issues and can't even seem to find her crop - I massaged her belly and chest and she seemed to enjoy it, but none of the reactions occurred I read about. She is just a bag of bones under her fluff; I guess she's been ill for a while. I don't know what to do to keep her alive. I have tried syringing small amounts of water and a little watered down Greek yoghurt but she won't take any willingly, and I only managed a tiny bit in her mouth. I've tucked her in to a nest of towels with a 'perch' made from a very slightly warmed heat pack covered in a towel. She seems cosy, and when I check her she makes noises and gets up, comes to me and sits on my hands and cuddles in. I don't think she will make it through the night, but I hope with everything I have she will.

3. downrangechick

downrangechick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    NE Michigan
    Have you checked her vent for mites? Sometimes you have to look for a full minute or so to see any. How is her breathing and eyes look normal? Not watery?

4. katmac555

Feb 24, 2014
    I can only see one eye, and it looks clear but only about 3/4 open. Her crop does not look different to the photos on google. She's crashed around eating and walking this morning and making chicken noises; her head bobbing seems much better but not full gone. I'm wondering if she's blind? She can't seem to see anything and crashes into walls/trips over her food etc. when I'm around, she sort of head butts me and finds my hands and holds my fingers with her claws.

5. katmac555

Feb 24, 2014
    I can't see any mites - but I can't much of her clearly with feathers. Her vent is quite bloodied and black.

6. downrangechick

Nov 2, 2013
    NE Michigan
    If there is blood by her vent I would think about doing a parasite treatment. When I noticed my old English had mites was when she became lethargic and skinny. I gave her a bath with dawn dish soap then applied frontline by her vent. Within 4 days she was feeling so much better. I also gave her electrolytes. The mites or lice make them anemic. Which causes them to lethargic and just not happy birds. She would've died quick if I didn't do that. Then i dusted her with wood ash the next day. If you treat her you should treat everyone in the coop.

7. downrangechick

Nov 2, 2013
    NE Michigan
    How is she doing?

8. katmac555

Feb 24, 2014
    She seems nearly 100% better from what she was. She is eating and drinking, and pooing lots, and is walking around and chatting. Today I bought a new coop, so she is now outside after 4 days inside in my bathroom. I don't think there's any way she can be with the flock; she can't seem to see at all and is unable to find her way around without walking into things. It takes her a long, long time to find her food, and even longer to eat - she sort of guesses where it's at the stabs her head around and hopes for the best. She wil be housed seperately and I will get her maybe another small polish frizzle for company at night, and be in the bigger 'free range' area during the day in a few weeks, when she's settled. I will be dusting all the ladies tomorrow as a precaution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by