1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heading on vacation - during lockdown???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelly52862, Jun 21, 2011.

1. kelly52862

kelly52862 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Kentucky
    Poor planning on my part, but leaving on vacation 7/1, lockdown happens on 7/2, hatch 7/5. I return on 7/5. I have 2 choices, start lockdown early and have my horse feeder look in at the incubator twice a day, or move the incubator to a friends house, which would be about an hour drive. Has anyone moved their incubator? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Actually the poor planning is not exactly correct, as I found 2 nests of eggs in my loft that I decided needed to hatch and none of my hens wanted the job.

2. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    If you're not turning on the 2nd either way, I'd give them one last turn on my way out the door on the 1st, and cross my fingers.

An hour ride (without regulated heat, humidity plus the time it takes to get the incubator back up to temp, and the bumpiness of the ride) would be more harmful than skipping half a day of turning them, I'd think.
    Maybe see if you can get the horse feeder to pop by and turn once more before lockdown if you're worried, and think they could handle it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by