Heading to my Grammas ...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Momagain1, May 21, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    we'll see how this goes!!!

Say a prayer for me that there is NO drama...I dont know who all will be down there if anyone...so I'm not
    sure what I will encounter...

Will update later!

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Prayers!

3. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Family and NO drama? Isn't that a lot to ask? Better yet, here's hoping you don't let anyone get to you or get you down. And keep breathing.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good luck!

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So how did it go? Calm and peaceful I hope!

Family matters get weird when someone dies. It puts pressure on even the closest of families. [​IMG]

7. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    well it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be...the only relative there was my aunt...the others were complete strangers to me...but that was odd...
    overheard a lady saying that she should have been on hoarders..and she's right...but still there is a time/place for statements like that..it upset my 13 yr old...

I didnt get anything I asked for except the canning jars...she said she had a box full of stuff for me...
    she had a bag of odd n end dolls that mean nothing to me..they are dusty and I'm not sure what to do w/them..old but no value ya know?
    some costume jewelry I let my girls and my nieces go thru..they were pieces with giraffes etc like that on it..stuff I wont wear but the girls
    LOVE it [​IMG] and a box of pictures of my daddy..a few of my brother..and the wedding anniversary scrapbooking album I made gramma/grampa for their
    70th wedding anniversary..which was nice I got it back... :)

however; I did ask for this tiny tiny jewelry piano box...I didnt get it..it was the only thing I asked for really...
    however; something that bowled me over...was that there was always this oil lady lamp, where it looked like it was raining around her..
    I loved this lamp..its tacky but it always mesmerized me...my aunt pulled it for me...I was completely and totally floored and went into the basement
    crying...my hubby hates it..its super tacky..but its mine..all mine!!!! (and I never asked for it...guess everyone else left it cause it was too tacky?? LOL)...

but I'm very very thankful I got that..it was the only thing worth anything today besides the jars & some pics...

I ended up getting: 108 pint jars, 129 quart jars and 35 1/2 pints...that to a canner..lol is priceless!!!
    ETA:
    and forgot to say; I also was given a BWB Canner, a Large stockpot & a mirro 12 qt pressure canner (had box, instructions, seals, rings etc still..not sure how safe it is tho)

My girls kept asking for things..mostly piddly things; like a kids sized apron my 5 yr old just was wearing around..super cute, some trinkets here n there...
    my hubby found a daisy b-b gun and asked for that; she said ok...

I would have loved to have grampas desk; but it was on the donation truck [​IMG]

overall; not a bad day; but an extremely emotional day to say the least..I feel like I've been wiped clean...

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Glad it wasn't completely horrible, and that you got some of the pictures you were hoping for. It's not always the big, expensive items that are the most valuable, is it?

[​IMG]

9. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    nope...I mean honestly I'm sure that piano thing went to someone else..or in the trash...but it would have made my day if she let me have it..heck I woulda left everything else...

however, I'm heading to bed shortly cause I'm mentally whooped!

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    omg we had one of those rain lamps when I was growing up. Yep tacky as heck but mesmerizing. Sounds like it went better than you hoped so I am glad for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by