HEADLESS CHICKEN LIVES!...18 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickfillhay, Mar 3, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Has anybody heard anything about this?

I was out at my chicken coop this morning talking to the girls when this story I saw years ago on a tv show once popped into my head.
    [​IMG]

Where the owner went to kill the chicken for dinner and it ran off without its' head. And lived for a while.
    Anyone to clarify.?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I heard about that to! I forgot for how long though

3. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    Its true!
    My grand parents used to butcher chickens, and they would tell stories of chickens running around with their heads cut off. they will run till they bleed out.
    Thats where the phrase "running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off" comes from

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*well, technically, the chicken was either dead, or dying-- no head = no brain activity, right? and isn't that our current definition of death? REGARDLESS of what the body is doing??? [​IMG] Might ask though, if you were good enough & quick enough to get the head reattatched, is the chicken still dead?!? Used to wonder that when I was a kid and heard those stories. ~:\\

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    DK there was a story on the news how it was just standing and walking around with no head. I cant remember what news channel

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's nerves that make them run after their head has been chopped off.

7. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
  8. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    AWESOME!!!! [​IMG] I just found it myself through the search engine and got another site. But yours is better!
    Here is where I found it at...http://www.blazingtalons.com/2006/02/mike-headless-chicken.html

It's amazing that this thing DID live for 18 months. Eating, drinking, perching and everything. Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!
    I can sleep tonight!!! [​IMG]................ADDING SOME JOKES I FOUND ON HIS SITE.

What did Mike say to his girlfriend?
    I am head over heels for you. [​IMG]

Why did the chicken ask for a raise?
    Just to get a-head. [​IMG]

Why did the chicken have to take "Anger Management Classes"?
    He kept losing his head. :thun

Why does a chicken coop have two doors?
    Because if it had four doors it would be a chicken sedan! [​IMG] HA!HA!HEE!HEE!HEEE!!!MY FAVORITE!

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*o.k.- that site's wackyer than a headless chicken-- and shouldn't they say "**TRY** to live a normal life"??? No chicken is going to be able to carry on THAT WELL 18 mths w/o a head!! **IF** the ax didn't kill it, it would starve LONG before 18 mths!!! AND DRINKING?? Hey- Somebody was drinking all right-- but, it wasn't the headless chicken!!! CAN YOU SAY "NATIONAL ENQUIRER"? :p

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I love Mike the Headless Chicken!
    His owner fed him with an eyedropper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by