headless chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wlburnette, Nov 29, 2009.

1. wlburnette

wlburnette New Egg

Nov 29, 2009
    We are finding our bantams dead in the morning. Just their heads gone. Nothing torn up, just a missing head. What can it be? The latest victim was my favorite brown red rooster.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    coons and other creatures can reach through ckn wire and take just the heads..lock them up at night if you can or secure the run so that they cant reach through..set a trap?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  3. wlburnette

wlburnette New Egg

Nov 29, 2009
    it has to be something getting all the way in the chicken pen. nothing can just reach through the pen.

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Dose it have an open top?

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Make it Predator Proof! Sit and figure it out or video tape it to find out how its happening! Gotta protect them chickens!

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I had 2 headless ducks a while back. In our case it was a hawk.

7. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    [​IMG]

I'm so sorry to hear this! Heartbreaking... This is very typical Owl behavior. (I work with a raptor rehabilitation and education center - owls being one of the main species we study) It has also been argued here that raccoons do this, but that would indicate your bantams were roosting next to the fencing, and the raccoon could not otherwise get through - where were your birds when you found them dead... in the middle or edge of the coop? If they were in the middle, I would lay highest odds that you have an owl, and a bit of wire mesh across the top of your coop or nighttime confinement will do the trick. Raccoon proofing is a bit more involved, but certainly do-able.

8. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Kind of what I am thinking if there is no top and it is at night it would probly be an owl

9. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Racoons can climb! Really sorry to hear about your chickens! They need to be locked in the coop at night to keep them safe.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    This is very typical Owl behavior.

Owl was our other suspect. But we actually saw hawks circling around the time the ducks got beheaded. Either way, netting will keep them from munching on your bantams. I had to make an "aviary" of sorts to keep the ducks safe. Deer netting from Lowe's over a clothes line did the trick.

If it was raccoons, wouldn't the breast be gone as well?​

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by