Headless pullet

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bornacentury2L8, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Went out this morning and something had dug into the coop and killed one pullet. Took off it's head and neck and left everything else. Anyone have an idea what animal will do this? It has to be small, because the hole it dug was small. Too small for a coon or coyote. We have a lot of cats in the area (none of them mine). I will be reinforcing my run. [​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry. Look for a raccoon or mink/weasel.

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I'd say a weasel, martin, or mink. They kill just to drink the blood.

4. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    I read another post, the one describing what certain predators will do, I think I have a raccoon. I hadnt noticed earlier bit the head was off and there were little feathers outside the wire where the pullet was lying. So maybe he reached in and grabbed her head and snatched it off and ate it right outside the wire? Maybe. Could be a weasle. Something dug or tried to dig into the run.

I will be checking on them periodically all night now. We have a lot of coons here, and I've already trapped and relocated 1 that was getting in our garbage. We'll see...[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  5. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Ooooooooohhhhhh nasty little vermin - my vote goes to a possum - that's how they ate one of my chickens that died! Hope he enjoyed it cuz I had the last laugh - no more free chicken dinner for THAT possum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by