Heads or Tails... 50/50... Boy or girl?????? RIR is she a he? Several pics.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckinnewbie, Feb 23, 2012.

1. cluckinnewbie

cluckinnewbie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    These three are about 5 months old. I had bought them as "she's" at about 5 weeks but the one has a much larger comb and waddles then the other two. The other two's waddles and comb are much smaller and look almost alike. They have all grown up side by side looking nearly identical till now. So is she a he lol It hasn't crowed yet that I have notice, tho my other two roos may drown him out. Anyways, here's some pics.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    cant see them in the pic, does it have pointed saddle and hackle feathers? If not, it may be a hen about to lay. It does have that rooster look in its eye.

[​IMG]

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yep, that's a cockerel.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    x2, he even stands taller

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop

6. cluckinnewbie

Feb 11, 2012
    Just seems weird I havent seen or heard him crow. The other two roos crow in unison almost, one crows, then the other, then the other several times in a row. And I spend enough time outside that that is why I assumed they were all female since they're all so old and non-crow-ey like lol

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    He's probably low man on the totem pole. The dominant roos will crow a lot and compete, lesser dominant ones crow less, if at all. I've heard of some roosters who didn't crow until they were over a year old.

8. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Agreed on cockerel. As for crowing, Lothiriel is right. I have 6 roos and they all crowed at different ages. The last one finally started doing it a month ago and he is almost a year old.

9. cluckinnewbie

Feb 11, 2012
    He is caged seperately could he still be low man even if not in the same cage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by