1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heads stuck in wire!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jessierose, Nov 3, 2009.

1. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    I have lost 2 young birds (2 months old) to this now and cannot lose more! Is there an age when they stop sticking their heads through the wire? Should I keep them in the brooder room until they are bigger and less likely to do this?!
    Has anyone else had this? I am getting shell-shocked from coming out and finding my girls dead from sticking their heads out! :-(

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Are you using chickenwire? Hardware cloth is stronger and has smaller holes.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If you cannot put them someplace with smaller wire, you are going to have to put something over the wire on the inside so they cannot get their heads through. If it is outdoors, use shade cloth or something of that sort...if indoors, use cardboard, plywood whatever you have. Until they are big enough, they will continue to stick their heads out because they can and they are young.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    All you have to do is keep them from sticking their heads through whatever kind of wire you have. Small-mesh plastic garden netting or windowscreen would do it.

Even as adults, they WILL stick their heads through any mesh that they can fit it through, if they think there is something potentially edible on the other side. Hence the value of using a smaller-mesh material on the inside of the run fencing for the bottom 2-3' or so.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by