Headshaking chick?? (+injury)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaprica9, Apr 1, 2011.

1. kaprica9

kaprica9 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Sorry if this is a silly question- I've never raised chicks of my own before.

Background:
    Recently acquired a 'charity case' from the store, one of the chicks who had been picked on by the others. She's about a week old, Delaware Blue I think? Anyways, she had an open wound about 3/4cm by 1/2cm in the center of her back. It's been healing decently well and is pretty much all closed by now. For the first day she was really lethargic and not eating or drinking, so I gave her some water with honey via eyedropper and hoped she would last the night. She did, and was eating and drinking a little bit yesterday.

This morning my mother ground up some of the chick starter in a blender, (As she was only eating the smallest chunks of feed). She's been chowing down all morning, has a full crop (Seems overly full on her but really it's the same as the others) and is much more active and no longer falling asleep every 30 seconds (was literally doing that before)

Problem:
    Today she's been shaking her head constantly. It's not really a shake, more like a twitch every two or three seconds. She stops for a bit if she's distracted, but picks up again really quickly. This has been persisting all day and hasn't gotten better.

I've checked for mites but didn't see anything. Is it that her feed is too fine and something got stuck? Did I accidentally get something down her airway the other day?

I don't have a vehicle atm, so I can't take her to a vet or go shopping- but any ideas on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated. Home remedies are also welcome!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    maybe her crop is too full and shes trying to get it to go down a bit, this is just a guess but i have heard that if they have something stuck that they will shake their heads alot.. I'd make the starter like she did but put warm water with it to make a gruel. that way she has a way of washing it down instead of it getting lodged in the crop.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  3. kaprica9

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks for the advice!

I tried the gruel, she's only taking a little. Seems to like the dry stuff better. Anything I could/should do to get her to eat it?

4. kaprica9

Apr 1, 2011
    Update,

She's now starting to get super upset when we touch her crop. Starting to guess impaction...

((edit)) Yup, impaction. Olive oil and loooong massage and she pulled through!

Thanks for the help Miss Lydia!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    sounds like something is wrong, heres a link to crop problems see if any of this looks like what is going on with your chick..
    http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1188
    they aren't supopose to need grit when on chick feed but you might want to pick up some chik grit when out and sprinkle around on the floor of the brooder.. can you massage her crop very gently, might help to break up the clog. but don't massage upwards just do a gentle massage, you don't want her to throw up and aspirate.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by