Healing Skin or Not

Megana

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2022
We have been dealing with bumblefoot for awhile/ 2 times daily epsen salt soaks, decolorized iodine, and triple antibiotic cream. I then Bandage. We did do 2 surgery’s, to remove dead skin and try to get the kernel. I’m struggling to identify, what is not infected skin. How does this look? Should I be removing the grayish material forming? Or is this what the healing process looks like. Any help would be awesomen!!

Attachments

• E7AFBC38-CE31-46C6-B366-07284F3021E8.jpeg
    E7AFBC38-CE31-46C6-B366-07284F3021E8.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 7F62FA67-9189-4D30-906F-876649EAC193.jpeg
    7F62FA67-9189-4D30-906F-876649EAC193.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 762F2E02-3C1D-41EE-B875-0250E7283783.jpeg
    762F2E02-3C1D-41EE-B875-0250E7283783.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 5
Those black scabs need to be removed. If you soak in very warm Epsom salts for fifteen or more minutes, you should be able to scrape them off with a thumbnail. The kernel should lift out with the scabs.

When you check the wounds in two days, you should find a thin, flat scab that isn't black, but merely a little darker than the surrounding tissue. If you see a raised black scab, you then need to repeat the process until you get all the solid pus removed, as that's what continues to produce the thick black scab.

Your best bet is to soak the foot in Epsom salts for 20 minutes, then I use one of the tools used to get dirt out from under fingernails, but you can use whatever. You use the tool and scrape off the black scab and the grey ish stuff, then spray bactine and wrap the foot for two days. Check it and post more pics after you treat it. Hope she gets better!

Your best bet is to soak the foot in Epsom salts for 20 minutes, then I use one of the tools used to get dirt out from under fingernails, but you can use whatever. You use the tool and scrape off the black scab and the grey ish stuff, then spray bactine and wrap the foot for two days. Check it and post more pics after you treat it. Hope she gets better!
Thank you… did it last night, hoping I got it all!

Those black scabs need to be removed. If you soak in very warm Epsom salts for fifteen or more minutes, you should be able to scrape them off with a thumbnail. The kernel should lift out with the scabs.

When you check the wounds in two days, you should find a thin, flat scab that isn't black, but merely a little darker than the surrounding tissue. If you see a raised black scab, you then need to repeat the process until you get all the solid pus removed, as that's what continues to produce the thick black scab.
Thank you… did it last night, hoping I got it all!

I was so hoping to see new skin forming… I removed all dead skin on Monday… this is what it looked like when I unwrapped today.

Attachments

• A7E7539E-9424-4457-B2E8-2B23F22DC927.jpeg
    A7E7539E-9424-4457-B2E8-2B23F22DC927.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 5F03A527-961E-4A35-92B5-9C871F060515.jpeg
    5F03A527-961E-4A35-92B5-9C871F060515.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 0CFDDC73-C5C9-4D9A-886C-53701A786824.jpeg
    0CFDDC73-C5C9-4D9A-886C-53701A786824.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 3
You may be dealing with a stubborn case. You do need to keep debriding until you get a smooth "scab" that is not black.

It may not be apparent, but new tissue is starting to grow from the edges. You won't be hurting that by soaking and scraping off this scab. It will actually encourage the new tissue growth.

I've shared my own personal history here in past threads to illustrate how debriding a serious wound encourages new skin growth. I was badly burned thirty years ago due to standing in a puddle of gasoline when it ignited. I was treated at the ER for my severe burns and was released to do my own burn care. This consisted of scrubbing all the accumulated scabby material off my burns each day and slathering on an ointment (Silvadene) to prevent infection and to encourage tissue growth by keeping the wounds moist. It was an extremely painful process, and it seemed counterproductive. But after a month, all new skin had grown over my burns.

This is how healing bumblefoot works. By removing all old dead tissue (the black) and bacteria, you are encouraging new tissue to grow over the wounds. Treating bumblefoot can be laborious and tedious. But the effort pays off in the end.

You may be dealing with a stubborn case. You do need to keep debriding until you get a smooth "scab" that is not black.

It may not be apparent, but new tissue is starting to grow from the edges. You won't be hurting that by soaking and scraping off this scab. It will actually encourage the new tissue growth.

I've shared my own personal history here in past threads to illustrate how debriding a serious wound encourages new skin growth. I was badly burned thirty years ago due to standing in a puddle of gasoline when it ignited. I was treated at the ER for my severe burns and was released to do my own burn care. This consisted of scrubbing all the accumulated scabby material off my burns each day and slathering on an ointment (Silvadene) to prevent infection and to encourage tissue growth by keeping the wounds moist. It was an extremely painful process, and it seemed counterproductive. But after a month, all new skin had grown over my burns.

This is how healing bumblefoot works. By removing all old dead tissue (the black) and bacteria, you are encouraging new tissue to grow over the wounds. Treating bumblefoot can be laborious and tedious. But the effort pays off in the end.
When I was 4 or 5 I was burned because I touched a light (that was extremely hot) with the back of my hand. My mom treated it the same way you had to. I can see how treating bumble foot would be the same.

Back
Top Bottom