1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Health and Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cricketsfarm, Aug 9, 2011.

1. cricketsfarm

cricketsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Nauvoo, AL
    I bought some hens and a rooster. I was very sad to find out how poor they actually were when I got them home.
    When I picked one up, her breast was very poor. Assuming this means she is not very healthy. The chickens I raised from chicks
    are very healthy and have full breast.
    Of course it is hot summer and the new chickens are not laying at the moment. I was wondering what I should feed the new hens to get them
    healthier but at the same time still get eggs when it starts to cool down some?

Thanks Bunches

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Cricketsfarm,

I think that a laying hen generally does have a prominent breast bone, and is not a fat hen. Make sure that in this heat your new hens have lots of fresh water, lots of shade and cool places that they can dust bathe. Make quality feed available to them, and if you have the facilities for them, then let them free range.

It sounds like you will take good care of them, and they will reward you with eggs. If they are very poorly then it may take them some time to recover. It also takes chickens a little while to adjust to a new place. Sometimes chickens will benefit from additional protein in their diet. If you live where they can get bugs and fresh green plants to eat, that is one of the best things you can give them. If you have left over scrambled or boiled eggs, you can chop those and mix with their feed, and know that they are getting top quality protein. Otherwise, just take good care of them, and before long, if they are old enough they will provide you with eggs.

Good luck.

3. cricketsfarm

cricketsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Nauvoo, AL
    thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by