Health care dental problem... Need help & ideas PLS!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jul 26, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    So for some strange reason when I was a teen my parents never had my wisdom teeth removed.

Now I am 28 and they are killing me. They have been hurting for literally the last 6 months, or more! Sometimes I can't even eat and get migraines they hurt so bad. I went to the dentist and had x-rays and everything and they said all 4 are impacted and I have to have a $4000 surgery to get them removed.

So my problem is that I have no health care or dental insurance, and no way of coming up with 4 grand. I did look into dental insurance but THE BEST one I found would only cover half the bill.

I have been unemployed for the last 7 months at least and ALMOST had 3 jobs, and have been applying like crazy but there are no jobs to be found. All the kids in my classes are looking for jobs too, none here. So I have no money. Even if I got a job it would take me another 7 months just to save up the money. I CAN'T wait that long, they are ruining my life! [​IMG]

My jaw is killing me and I have no idea what to do about it. [​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. AhBee01

AhBee01 Songster

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Call and ask your dentist if they have any info on something like this plan!
    http://www.carecredit.com/ It might help you out.
    My fil used it, or something like for his dentures! I think that was the name, but if you ask you DR. they will be able to tell you about it, and have the info you can fill out, mine did!

My Dh still has his, and has had no issues. They only need to come out if you have issues with them!
    Also call around you may find a better price for removal.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah I don't qualify for any carecredit or plan type thingies, I screwed my credit up as a kid... I didn't know how important it was. [​IMG] [​IMG] Shoulda mentioned that in the first post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2010
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What about payment plans??
    Sorry you have to suffer.. [​IMG]

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I would have to look around, but from everything I've experienced no dentist here is willing to do payment plans. [​IMG]

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Crowing

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Any dental schools in your area? Just saw a piece in the local paper
    about OSU offering a reduced program. Of course, the students may
    pull out the wrong tooth a time or two first.

But do look for dental schools...

7. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Try calling all Dental Schools within 500 miles of you.

8. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Songster

May 12, 2009
    Isn't Mahonri a dentist? Perhaps he can give you some ideas. Dental pain is right up there with back pain-both are horrible. I'm sorry that you have to endure this.

9. Definitely call around. Explain your situation and make sure you leave no stone unturned!!

I was your age when mine needed to come out and we had no insurance. I had one out when I was 16 and was told the other three would never come in or cause me any trouble. Wrong! I found a dentist who is older who still does wisdom teeth extractions, no anesthesia, just shots. It cast me $600 to have all three done. None of the younger dentists would touch me, they all wanted me to see an oral surgeon. I called a lot of dentists!

What about a payment plan?
    A dental loan? I was able to get an $1800 loan through Wells Fargo for a crown. Maybe check into that. I have no idea what's offered now.
    Calling the state to see what kind of medical/dental assistance is available to you?

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! Dental pain is the worst!! [​IMG]

(Most if this was mentioned while I was typing my response!)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    I second the dental school option - the dental school here in Omaha provides reduced or free dental care - I have to think that is pretty much a standard for dental schools - they need teaching subjects. I would start by just googling reduced dental care and your city and see what comes up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by