Health concerns among chickens.

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
Hello! It’s been a while since I’ve posted, I haven’t been on this website in a while. I actually have four new hens, making an eight bird flock. Anyways, I wanted to raise a few health concerns that I have with my chickens.

So three hens have feathers that are begging to chip off. It makes them look mangy and unattractive. I’m positive this is molting, but my lighter colored bird has noticeable dark spots on her saddle. I’ve inspected it to check if it’s mites, and I don’t see anything. Just minor debris in her ruffled feathers. Would I be able to spot any mites on her or notice any signs of said mites? It’s been a while and I haven’t seen anything that I should worry about but I need assurance.

The other concern actually really bothers me, one of my hens has early stage of vent gleet. Well I’ve done more of a self-diagnosis, her vent is really messy and she seems very depressed. She lacks a lot of energy and she just goes to one corner of the run and sits there. I had to pick her up and put her in the coop because she wasn’t moving. I just noticed this today, and it all seems too fast for her to be in such a bad condition. Will she be ok? I’m planning on cleaning her tomorrow. I hope she doesn’t die. Who knows, I’m probably just panicking more than I should. I just want some more formal and experienced insight from the community, thanks.

Epsom salt bath, Dawn dishwashing liquid to help clean the feathers and area and then apply Clotrimazole cream 2% (Jock itch/antifungal cream). She has a yeast infection of the vent. Feeding Yogurt also helps. That's what I found about the treatment for your hen. Now I know how to treat my girls if they ever get it!

I see it's cold where you are. It's best to wait till tomorrow to clean her up. You don't want her catching a chill when she's not feeling well. Hopefully she perks back up for you. The other hen pictures might help. Check around her vent for bugs, it's not likely you'd see them on her back unless she was completely over run. I don't know about mites per se, but poultry lice are pretty easy to spot.

Agree with above posters, also... about the one with the black specks... it could be dirt from bathing. If you ruffle her feathers at the base of the tail and under her wings with a light colored glove or wash rag you should get sufficient dirt on them to determine if it's mites, lice or good old fashioned dirt. If it's moving, it's parasites... if not, it's dirt.

Before you bathe anyone.....

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Before you bathe anyone.....

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Nope, no mites. Just debris that she dust bathes. Took care of the sick hen this morning, she’s acting better now.

I'm new to the backyard chicken raising I've read alot done everything it said. Here are some pictures of my flock. What do you all think on the thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_193856152.jpg
    IMG_20200525_193856152.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200525_193813194.jpg
    IMG_20200525_193813194.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200525_193826882.jpg
    IMG_20200525_193826882.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200525_193856152.jpg
    IMG_20200525_193856152.jpg