health concerns

gummybear61

Chirping
Apr 12, 2016
chicago
we had our new adopted family member for about a week now. she has been to the vet. she has a cold we were given antibiotics and ticks or mites so she got flea tick mite med applied by dr . she other then that got a clean bill of health.
i combed her with a flea comb gently and givem her a few baths already to help rid any fleas tick and so on. her nose is clearing up nicely it had a fowl odor. and she beginning to smell like hay and deliciousness like my other feathered family members
she is a silkie by the way....

2 question? is it ok to clip away some of the mite or flea nesting build up from her hair?
when is a good time to intergrate her comletely to my flock?

I would be a little reluctant to add her to the flock unless you get her tested for coryza or mycoplama (MG.) Those and some other respiratory diseases can be chronic, contagious, and make carriers of a flock. Some people use coconut oil on feathers to remove lice eggs, or you could pull some the feathers. Lice and mites usually need treatment at 7 day intervals if permethrin or sevin dust are used.

thank you... she does have coryza which the dr prescribed an antibiotic. but other then that he say she look and sound good nothing in he lungs or anything. she has a 2wk follow up next week. im not trying to put her with everyone else right away i just wanted a guesstamate or time frame from when treatment was started to slowly intergrate her woth the others . coconut oil thats intetesting thanks i will try that.

I would urge you to read up on coryza by Googling it in chickens. It is chronic, meaning that it is not cured by antibiotics, and can come back whenever she is stressed. They are carriers for life.

touching base after a scare for our new family member Leche. it was determined that he does not did not have coryza. it was just a commom cold. i baggered the vet to make sure lol not bagger he is a great guys. but he fixed Leche up and he is doing great we even got him some friends to care for. he is growing and have not had any relapes or any other signs of distress or illness he has been to vet a few time just to keep him up to par.... lol he really is a funny character

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom